Boxing II

I think youā€™ll leave it there as you tried to argue something that the facts of the matter reject.

You can try and spin it another way but the reality is you got caught talking out of your arse. Foreman had no physical advantages on Ali. One was more of power ring bully and the other focused more on their boxing skills but Ali was never at a physical disadvantage in his era, he was as big a heavyweight at the time.

He had a 4 inch height advantage of Frazier and a 5 inch reach advantage for instance.

Oh come off it.

What bigger heavyweights did he beat?

Donā€™t try move the goalposts. You said he was the greatest heavyweight of his era because of his size. Thatā€™s a nonsense statement. Iā€™m sure you recognise thatā€™s itā€™s just plain wrong.

1 Like

Iā€™m focusing on his size mate. Iā€™m sticking to the issue, not moving to the goalposts while you continue to obfuscate while I stick to the issue at hand, his size. He was pretty much as big a heavyweight as was around at the time.

Youā€™ve focused on size to the exclusion of all else. You said he was the greatest heavyweight of his era due to his size. A ridiculous statement. What about his skill? Attitude? Will to win? Charisma? Nothing to do with it were they? Only his size according to you. What nonsense. Iā€™ll leave you there.

You said I was moving the goalposts a minute ago, now you are trying to move them yourself. Ali fought 61 professional fights, how many were against bigger guys?

No thatā€™s completely inaccurate.

Would he have been the greatest heavyweight of his era if he was 6ft?

Yeah. An utterly stupid comment. Thereā€™s really no point in engaging further heā€™ll run with for the day.

Waiting for answer guys?

I think youā€™ll find youā€™re conceding defeat here as you are unable to debate the point. If Ali had been 6ft would he have beaten Foreman?

Iā€™ve no idea. You said he was the greatest BECAUSE of his size. He fought plenty of guys who were taller, plenty who were heavier and loads who hit harder.

He fought 61 fights. How many of those fights were against taller opponents? You said plenty, how many?

Ernie Terrell and Chuck Wepner the only ones I found, thatā€™s 2, thatā€™s around 3%.

What a stupid stupid statement.

Joe Bugner was taller than him definitely. Bob Foster and Ken Norton were at least as tall as him, as were several others. He fought Norton 3 times

Edit: Ron Lyle was also taller

Edit: also Richard Dunn

Once again, youā€™re unable to put forward a coherent argument, just throw shade.

How would Ali have got on against a boxer like Fury or the Klitschkos who physically dominate by 4-6 inches and are very solid technical boxers? He never had to that because he was a very physically dominating heavyweight.

Half an inch.

And an inch and both were journeymen boxers.

Iā€™m not saying Ali wasnā€™t a good boxer, that would be ridiculous but he would not have dominated the heavyweight division if he was not one of the biggest heavyweights about.

I disagree. He fought like a smaller man, used his reflexes rather than range to get out of the way of punches

Yeah but he was a bigger man, he used his reach and jab to control the distance. He used his size to dominate that division. He had huge physical advantages that he used very well.

If he was 6ft he would not have been able to do that in the heavyweight division.