Boxing II

Dunno. If he could get 10 million for fighting AJ, who I think heā€™d beat comfortably, that may be something he should look at.

Possibly but the point I make is size matters. Ali was the greatest heavyweight of his era because of his size. He was as big a heavyweight about at that time as there was. The old boxing adage of a good big guy beats a good small guy anyday is as true to this day as it was back then.

Foreman was bigger Iā€™d have thought?
Iā€™ve still never seen a heavyweight move like Cassius Clay.

Ali had a huge reach advantage over Foreman

More or less identical height and reach. According to Google anyway.

In the run-up to the Rumble in the Jungle Ali boasts that he has a 3 inch reach advantage. As recounted in Norman Mailerā€™s ā€œThe Fightā€

Possibly.

I think the case about Ali when you compare heavyweights now to then, Ali never had to fight a guy who physically dominated him. Heavyweight boxers in the past 20 years have had the likes of the Klitschkos, Wilder and Fury who do dominate them in that way. Itā€™s tough fighting a guy 3 or 4 inches taller, with a bigger reach and carrying three or four stone in extra.

Foreman was a physically dominant boxer, as feared pre Ali as any boxer ever. He was thought to be invincible. Have you seen footage of him on the heavy bag? He was absolutely feared.

1 Like

Ali boasted all sorts of things in that run up. Mind games. Wasnā€™t true.

Incorrect.

He was the same size as Ali. He had more punching power and was heavier but that mean Ali was more mobile.

He was not bigger than Ali though. They were the same height and had the same reach or Ali had a bigger reach depending which story you agree with.

Foreman was a couple of kilos heavier than Ali. Iā€™m not going down a rabbit hole debating what ā€œbiggerā€ means.
Foreman was the same height and heavier.

1 Like

And that weight slows you down.

Tyson was feared too.

Sonny Liston was feared.

Hell, Joshua was feared for a bit too.

Youā€™re off on a tangent now, so Iā€™ll leave it there.

I think youā€™ll leave it there as you tried to argue something that the facts of the matter reject.

You can try and spin it another way but the reality is you got caught talking out of your arse. Foreman had no physical advantages on Ali. One was more of power ring bully and the other focused more on their boxing skills but Ali was never at a physical disadvantage in his era, he was as big a heavyweight at the time.

He had a 4 inch height advantage of Frazier and a 5 inch reach advantage for instance.

Oh come off it.

What bigger heavyweights did he beat?

Donā€™t try move the goalposts. You said he was the greatest heavyweight of his era because of his size. Thatā€™s a nonsense statement. Iā€™m sure you recognise thatā€™s itā€™s just plain wrong.

1 Like

Iā€™m focusing on his size mate. Iā€™m sticking to the issue, not moving to the goalposts while you continue to obfuscate while I stick to the issue at hand, his size. He was pretty much as big a heavyweight as was around at the time.

Youā€™ve focused on size to the exclusion of all else. You said he was the greatest heavyweight of his era due to his size. A ridiculous statement. What about his skill? Attitude? Will to win? Charisma? Nothing to do with it were they? Only his size according to you. What nonsense. Iā€™ll leave you there.

You said I was moving the goalposts a minute ago, now you are trying to move them yourself. Ali fought 61 professional fights, how many were against bigger guys?