Boxing II

Another victory for Limerick

1 Like

Letā€™s be brutally honest with the decline of heavy weight boxing amongst African Americans the heavy weight division is now mediocre .

Usyk is a brilliant cruiserweight but AJ is a mediocre champ. To be fair to Usyk he went pro late and was fighting in a unglamorous division

2 Likes

People who arenā€™t boxing fans trot out this same boring clichĆ©d shite all the time pining for an imagined past. HW has been great the last couple of years.AJ, Fury, Wilder have been in some terrific fights in front of enormous crowds.

It went through a very lean period when that joker David Haye was fighting a carney giant for a world title but there has been some real talent and great fights in the post Klitschko era.

HW will always really only have 4-5 genuine contenders at one time because it takes a very rare breed of size, skill, strength and courage to be a 240lb top level fighter.

4 Likes

When the Klitcho brothers are dominant for a decade you know itā€™s gone downhill. Middle of the road fighters from the 80s like Bonecrusher Smith, Tony Tucker or Tim Witherspoon would be lording it in todayā€™s HW scene.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s just nostalgia rose tinted glasses. Tyson Fury would have his way with all 3 of them.

1 Like

Fury destroyed Wlad. Heavyweight boxing is strong. Usyk is a beast too. An exceptional fighter.

I like Fury. I meant the standard in general. Was much deeper once upon a time

1 Like

Did Jones Jr. do cruiser then heavy or just went from super-middle to light heavy and then heavy?

Went light-heavy to heavy

1 Like

It isnā€™t nostalgia . The reality is that the dominant demographic in the sport for near on a century is no longer engaged hugely

It is still a brilliant sport ( probably the best( and fight like last night will fascinate ā€¦

The two men last night are phenomenal athletes and Usyk is a phenomenon

1 Like

Too much greed and belts involved. Joshua is a bum, thereā€™s no other era heā€™d be holding a belt. Itā€™s in decline alright and itā€™s probably timeā€¦ Bar a few top guys, most fighters end up broken old men before their time and with some level of brain damage.

1 Like

Jones and James Toney were super middle to heavyweight never cruiser. I think that bum David Haye might be the only other to win cruiser and then hw. Pretty sure Michael Spinks didnā€™t either

Heā€™s a great hurlin man.

1 Like

James Toney did fight cruiser.

I got that wrong. Toney never officially won the HW title shur. Thatā€™s why I didnā€™t count him.

His fight with Vassily Jirov is probably the best crusierweight fight of all time

He fought Mike McCallum early in his career and it was one of best fights ever too. He never ducked anyone either.

Manny Pacquaio officially called it a day