Boxing Thread

Media whore Kenny Egan has announced he’s going to stay as an amateur boxer and focus on the 2012 London Olympics.

Very disappointing decision. Looks to me that he just doesn’t want to put the hard graft in to make it as a pro.

Think he’s been offered an enhanced package from the Irish Sports Council which makes him an ambassador and a guaranteed job as coaching in a few years.

Firstly it’s typical Irish bitterness that when our Olympic silver medalist makes a few bob from throwing his name around people get up in arms.

Secondly the training couldn’t have had much to do with his decision, he would have trained pretty close to a Pro in training for the Olympic. And i also think he knows what talent he has, and would probably not have a great chance of winning a World title, whereas he has an outside chance of winning a Gold medal.
Professional boxing is a very lonely world if your not near the top i would imagine.

[quote=“caoimhaoin”]Firstly it’s typical Irish bitterness that when our Olympic silver medalist makes a few bob from throwing his name around people get up in arms.

Secondly the training couldn’t have had much to do with his decision, he would have trained pretty close to a Pro in training for the Olympic. And i also think he knows what talent he has, and would probably not have a great chance of winning a World title, whereas he has an outside chance of winning a Gold medal.
Professional boxing is a very lonely world if your not near the top i would imagine.[/quote]

Agreed- he has to maximise his scoring and earning potential while people remember him
Also think that he is at an age (26?) where he’d have to make the transition to pro very quickly in order to be in with a shout. To my untrained eye he looks like a schooled amateur boxer who’d find the change to the pro ranks very difficult. Compare his style to the likes of Sutherland who seems much better suited to the pro game than amateur

WBY

hes dead right mac to try and make a few bob while he can,think he knows himself he wouldnt make the very top level as a pro so why not cash in now,will proably end up with a job in the iaba,he would be better off though stayin out a the likes of hello and that kinda shite

I’ve no problem with him trying to make a few bob by appearing on TV and opening places etc but his big smirky head on the front of the LIFE magazine in the sindo at their Xmas bash is a step too far in my books. I’ve a lot of respect for the guy but anyone who shows up and allows their photo to be taken at that deserves to be ridiculed.

I understand where your coming from here, its a bit cringy in fairness. But its also probably some agent pushing it all. If i were that lucky to be an Olympic medal winner maybe i wouldn’t do the LIFE masg stuff, but i also know it would be hard to say no to such easy cash.

Lads how much would a pro boxer make per fight…I know there is serious money to be made if you are at the top end of it and fighting for world titles but the likes of Bernard Dunne, Andy Lee, Oisin Fagen etc how much would they pull per fight…10,000 euro?..

More than that Puke i’d say. Andy Lee would be in or around 30-40k i would imagine at least. Dunne may be slightly less.
A world title shot in one of the serious belts would definitely get you 100k, depending on your record and the opponent it could be way bigger. Money in the States is obviously bigger.

Think Fagan got 16k or 32k for the Khan fight. It was his largest ever purse.

it was around 16k, was offered 10 first but turned it down

turns out warren didnt insure him so he cant work so will fly through it

when he was fighting for irish titleshe would get the price of his flight home from the US

Yeah Fagan got feck all in the end. I’d heard less than 16 though NCC.

Egan made the right decision. He’s not cut out for the pro game. His style is far more suited to amateur boxing and he’s very capable in that sport. The idea that an olympic medal winning amateur boxing is somehow lazy or ducking challeneges is miles from the truth. They’re very different disciplines but they both require extraordinarily hard work.

[quote=“therock67”]Yeah Fagan got feck all in the end. I’d heard less than 16 though NCC.

Egan made the right decision. He’s not cut out for the pro game. His style is far more suited to amateur boxing and he’s very capable in that sport. The idea that an olympic medal winning amateur boxing is somehow lazy or ducking challeneges is miles from the truth. They’re very different disciplines but they both require extraordinarily hard work.[/quote]

could have been 14k- not much anyway considering he cant work for a few months

Would that 16k be gross or net pay ncc…Would he have to pay his trainer and agent/promoter etc out of that or did he end up with 16k after everything?

No that’s a fee from his promoter so he doesn’t have to pay him. I think the trainer might have been covered separately.

holyfield robbed

may 2nd las vegas,mannys gona rip hatton a new one

From skysports.com

Amir Khan has landed a massive fight with former three-weight world champion Marco Antonio Barrera.

The Briton has been thrown in at the deep end by promoter Frank Warren just six months after his shocking first round defeat to Breidis Prescott.

Khan returned to action in December with a polished victory over Oisin Fagan after teaming up with trainer Freddie Roach for the first time, and a fight with former WBO super-featherweight champion Alex Arthur had been mooted for 2009.

However, Warren has pulled a rabbit out of the hat in the shape of the former super-bantam, featherweight and super-featherweight champion, who famously ended the career of Naseem Hamed in 2001.

The Mexican has plenty of miles on the clock following his legendary trilogy with Erik Morales and two fights with Manny Pacquiao, on the last occasion losing a unanimous decision in November 2007.

However, Barrera proved he is not ready to retire with a fourth round stoppage of little-known Sammy Ventura two months ago and is slated to meet Nate Campbell for the WBO lightweight title later this year.

“This is a huge step up for Amir who had some serious thoughts about it,” said Warren, who confirmed the bout will take place in the UK on March 14. "The discussions over the fight finished at 4am this morning.

"It’s a big fight for Amir who has been champing at the bit. This is the right fight for Amir at this stage of his career.

“I believe it will bring out the best in him. This puts him well and truly on the world stage.”

Khan received rave reviews from trainer Roach after the Bolton bomber sparred with Pacquiao in the build up to the Filipino’s victory over Oscar De La Hoya last month.

And a fight with the 34-year-old Barrera could come at just the right time for Khan, with the ‘Baby-Faced Assassin’ naturally the smaller man and not renowned as a big puncher.

Hope Barrera does to Khan what he did to Prince Nassem Hamed

He would even 2 years ago, but i’d say it will be close. Khan is over rated, but he is still a very good boxer.