Boxing Thread

Big night of action coming up next Saturday. Wouldn’t be hugely optimistic about Floyd-Canelo being entertaining but Matthysse vs Garcia is going to be fucking brilliant. I cannot wait for Lucas to destroy Garcia and consign him and his loathsome cunt of a father to obscurity. The Garcias did everything in their power to get out of the fight but there’s nowhere to run to now.

Good to have you back posting regularly mate :clap:

[quote=“Raymond Crotty, post: 827742, member: 25”]He was absolutely robbed. Burns perhaps shaded very early and late rounds but Beltran won easily. Burns’ bravery commendable given he was clearly in huge pain after jaw injury in the second.

On a separate matter Sidney I’m disappointed you haven’t set up a ‘Walker Cup Thread’.[/quote]
As it turns out, Burns fought for 10 rounds with a broken jaw.:eek:

That’s more an indication of where Golovkin is at than Macklin. Golovkin is a monstrous puncher and always has been. There’s abundant footage of him demolishing guys as an amateur, with one particularly spectacular knockout of Lucian Bute back in 2003.

The guy is a wrecking machine, but a wrecking machine with exceptional fundamentals. His amateur record was something like 345-5, and he was he was very unlucky not to have won gold in Athens after having won gold in Baku the year before. The significance of that is the middleweight amateur class of that time was arguably the strongest it has ever been in the entire history of the sport. In Athens, Direll, Pascal, Andy Lee, N’Dam, Balzoy, and Angulo were all competing and they all went on to be big name pros. As well as that, Mashkin and Gaydarbekov who ‘beat’ Golovkin were there too and both of them would arguably be amateur ATGs.

Golovkin was better than all of them and that’s the pedigree Macklin was up against. It was inevitable that he was going to be steamrolled and the only thing he was going to get out of it was respect for fighting the guy everyone else was running from. Macklin is a Katsidis level fighter, good enough to put it up to most world class fighters, but not really good enough to beat them. He might pick up a belt against a weak titleholder someday he’ll never be much more than an opponent at that level. It’s not too bad, most guys never even make it that far.

:clap:
Great to have the foremost authority on boxing back on here.

Great interview with Lucas Matthysse, the most likeable guy in boxing. Lives in a log cabin and spends his life hunting, fishing, and training with his buddies :clap:

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/8869797/lucas-matthysse-shares-big-plans-2013

Great night ahead but first best of luck to Fingal’s favourite boxer, Porto’s Gael Force Fagan in Belfast tonight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMuLMOkA6n8

[quote=“Ebeneezer Goode, post: 831997, member: 1785”]Great night ahead but first best of luck to Fingal’s favourite boxer, Porto’s Gael Force Fagan in Belfast tonight!
[/quote]
What channel is mayweather v Alvarez on tonight?

Box Nation, 2am. Undercard of Garcia v Matthysse as mentioned above will be fucking explosive. Having a double; Matthsse to win and Mayweather to win on points…

Watch the Break, what you reckon?

The Money train should have too much yet again tonight although a snakey tenner on Alvarez by KO in rounds 2 to 5 at huge prices could be worth it incase of an upset,it’s the only chance of Floyd losing.

Follow up, what are my changes of finding a decent link for this later?

Bandage or Rocko are normally the computer savvy ones who can get the links to the football so they may know how to get the boxing!

I can hardly download a you tube video so hence the reason I have Sky Sports/Box Nation and after missing most of today’s game Im getting BT Sports as well.

Lee Wylie, who’s by far and away the best boxing analyst out there to read, has picked Canelo to win.

His two articles on the fight:

http://www.thesweetscience.com/news/articles-frontpage/17206-what-to-watch-for-wylies-dissects-mayweather-and-canelos-game-part-1

http://www.thesweetscience.com/news/articles-frontpage/17219-canelo-will-beat-mayweather-wylies-mayweather-canelo-lowdown-part-ii

WTB, I know that Alvarez is bigger than Floyd and he is strong but I think even at 35 Mayweather will be far too quick for him and he showed he is still quick when he boxed Guerrero. Alvarez isn’t the quickest boxer and I think it will come down to Mayweather counter punching and moving and scoring points…

Matthew Hatton went the distance with Alvarez…

Mayweather on points for me.

Mayweather UD is always the safe bet. I think Canelo has been somewhat overrated and I wouldn’t personally have given him the Trout fight. He has a much bigger name than his achievements merit. He does have a toolkit though and I would hope he won’t be as tactically naive and clueless as Guerrero was.

I’d be worried about the weight as well. Canelo has tended to gas pretty badly on the later rounds and it’s been suggested several times in the past that he had grown out of 154. This time he’s trying to shift those extra two pounds as well and I wonder what shape that’s going to leave him in.

Teddy Atlas also sees Canelo getting the nod, a disputed decision he thinks. I can see the argument, Canelo has phenomenal drawing power and sold something like 40,000 tickets for the Trout fight. That’s going to count for something. I can’t see it being enough though. I think he needs to go out and copy Cotto’s approach and count on doing more damage when Floyd’s cornered than Cotto did. I don’t know if he has the craftiness or the discipline for that. Would be amazing if he did it, but it seems like a long shot.

Canelo was 157 10 days ago. Weight is not an issue.

Still Mayweather looks sharp as ever. Would love him to lose, but I have’t seen enough of canelo.

All wtb does is copy and paste what the boxing people and media are saying. He only looks like he knows what he is in about. I read alot if the same media coming up to fights and he’s only regurgitating what others have said.

Well done Gael Force Fagan! TKO Round 2 !!! TAL

Here’s a link for anyone that wants it (I’d recommend you have some sort of ad-block running though before opening it up):
[url]http://atdhe.xxx/boxing/watch-floyd-mayweather-jr-canelo-alvarez-41gj0[/url]

Was thinking the same! Has he ever boxed even?