Boxing Thread

It’s the hype machine, they build a fighter up, televise him knocking as many bums out as they can throw him, the people sit up and take notice, the commentators talk in hyperbole about him. Suddenly he’s an 20+ unbeaten knockout fighter who the British public are familiar with, the expectation on the fighter and their lack of elite level fighters are certainly a factor. They usually hold off on title fights until they can get them fighting for a vacant title against some chump in their own backyard or get them to fight a weak champion in their own backyard (see Khan v Kotelnik).

Calzaghe is probably the biggest fraud to come out of Britain in this regard.

In his dreams

[QUOTE=“Nembo Kid, post: 1151377, member: 2514”]It’s the hype machine, they build a fighter up, televise him knocking as many bums out as they can throw him, the people sit up and take notice, the commentators talk in hyperbole about him. Suddenly he’s an 20+ unbeaten knockout fighter who the British public are familiar with, the expectation on the fighter and their lack of elite level fighters are certainly a factor. They usually hold off on title fights until they can get them fighting for a vacant title against some chump in their own backyard or get them to fight a weak champion in their own backyard (see Khan v Kotelnik).

Calzaghe is probably the biggest fraud to come out of Britain in this regard.[/QUOTE]
Agree on this in general. Like everything, the Brits talk up their fighters to a greater level than their actual worth. All about selling tickets I suppose.

Just catching up with Cotto’s performance at the weekend, he was majestic. I know Geale is nothing special but I think Cotto looks like he is at the peak of his career, he’ll beat Canelo if they fight in the next year.

Watched it Sunday night, he was impressive, his body shots were something else. Showed he has some power even fighting at middle weight.

Anyone catch the Wilder or Walters fights last night?

Yes watched it this morning, Walters won UD, glad I didn’t stay up to watch it. Nothing fight, no intensity, blah.

It would be in the bin with Ireland v Scotland and Donegal v Armagh.

Have Wilder’s fight recorded so I’ll watch that later.

[QUOTE=“Ebeneezer Goode, post: 1159070, member: 1785”]Yes watched it this morning, Walters won UD, glad I didn’t stay up to watch it. Nothing fight, no intensity, blah.

It would be in the bin with Ireland v Scotland and Donegal v Armagh.

Have Wilder’s fight recorded so I’ll watch that later.[/QUOTE]

Heard Walters didn’t impress. Disappointing. I had/have very high hopes for his potential showdown with Lomachenko.

Missing weight is probably a bigger issue. He may have to leave featherweight behind before ever getting in the ring with Loma.

They will and he won’t. We’ve both called this now just to be clear.

Katie Taylor boxing in Baku now here https://youtu.be/xd70RLZEnL4

1 Like

Cakewalk. Another semi final place secured.

Portlaoise’ Michael O’Reilly up in 15 mins.

Katie walks it on points.

Pat Ryan, legend :clap:

Quality first round from Reilly, hes a tidy operator.

Reilly takes Rd 2 also. Should be on his way to a medal here.

Top notch from the Portlaoise man, O Reilly into the semis on an unanimous decision. Definitely has a bit about him.

Darren O’Neill level with the Ukranian after two rounds in the heavyweight quarter final, it’s all down to the last round.

I presume that’s the elusive “guaranteed bronze” in the bag?

Have we sent our B squad to this or what? Seems to be a lot of new names in action, or have I slipped out of the loop?

O’Neill loses, must have been very tight. I thought he shaded the last round but the Ukranian landed the biggest shot in the round and that must have swayed the judges. :frowning:

Set up seems have changed. Some of the big names (Barnes, Ward, Conlon) didn’t even compete in the national championships here as they were involved in semi pro routes to the Olympics. Two of the qualified, Ward didn’t. Not sure where he stands now.