Boxing Thread

Clean Olympic lifters :joy:

Has Wladimir the game to beat Joshua this weekend lads?

Quite possibly. But at his age the historical trend runs against him. Joshua is a bit stiff, doesn’t have great feet, and his chin is suspect. So Wlad could frustrate him and tire him out, and maybe even walk him onto something. But Joshua has youth, faster hands, and the power to knock Wlad out on his side. It’s a very hard fight to call, but I would lean towards AJ. Wlad is 41 and has been out of the ring for 18 months. He can’t be sharp.

That’s it in a nutshell I’d say. Joshua looks a bit wooden to me, always looks like he could get knocked out, but noone seems to have managed yet.

He’s fought terrible opposition though. I know he’s a ‘world champion’ but he hasn’t fought a single opponent that could be considered world level. I think he’ll pull it off all the same. He’s too big for Wlad to lean on or tie up for 12 rounds, and Wlad has become such a cautious fighter that he’ll struggle to take the risks necessary to win the fight. My only doubt is the possibility that AJ is as bad a boxer as his critics say he is. And that Wlad might be way too smart for him. I doubt it though. Wlad has looked really poor in his last two fights. I think he’s ready to go.

Was thinking more at amateur. Joshua must have been in with some good fighters.

I remember his first round fight in London 2012 and he was lucky to win 1st round v Cuban . To be fair to AJ it wasn’t larceny but …

Worth a read

1 Like

However bad he is, he’s certainly better than Fury. I think he’ll just be too much of a handful for Klitschko at this stage.

Sign in @anon98850436

Team Wlad needs you.

He only won Olympic gold because he got a hometown ref in two of his fights which he clearly lost

Signing in for team Wlad.

1 Like

Joshua seems like a decent chap but the Sky Sports driven hype and the way he has remained unchallenged in his career to date puts me firmly behind team Wlad

Will this fight be on too early for EB to sit up wa5himg with a bag?

The Cuban fight in first round was close and I would have just marginally given it to the Cuban. It wasn’t larceny though , far from it .

1 Like

ANY WAY of getting the fight online?

I thought the same. The Katie Taylor gold medal bout in London was far worse.

Katie won some belt tonight

Many said that but I thought she won albeit not as convincingly as the scoring .

What time is Joshua-Wladimir on at, gents?