Boxing Thread

Khan has to be one of the most dislikeable boxers in a long time. He has no character or personality, just sheer arrogance and a delusional mindset. Many boxers give off the impression of being cunts and some are but at least they might gain a bit of respect by being controversial or charismatic. Khan is a shite-talking and boring prick.

That’s the thing, he’s arrogant and really fucking boring. He treated Peterson with no respect in the lead up to last night, with all the talk being about his step up to welterweight and a potential fight with Mayweather. Last night was supposed to be about him building his American fan base. Whatever fans he picked up during the fight, he had lost them again by the time he’d finished talking afterwards. The press conference was just as bad, just a load of whinging and moaning and blaming everyone apart from himself.

Neither he nor De La Hoya gave any credit to Peterson either and the guy deserves it. Khan should be a man about it and accept his defeat and that he underestimated Peterson. He’s made himself sound like an utter cunt the way he’s gone on.

Hes always been a cunt WTB hes good but he wiil never be up there with pacquaio or mayweather no matter what he thinks

Happy to join you all in calling Khan a prick. He showed a complete lack of class and grace after his fight against Paul McCloskey. Good enough for him to get beaten last night.

Seen the last three rounds there, Khan was spoiling the whole time. It was actually refreshing to see a referee punish the spoiler. Great performance from Peterson in those three rounds.

Khan’s conditioning is very poor, McCloskey was in with a shout there if the referee hadn’t ridiculously stopped the fight the last time round.

Presumably Alex Ariza is his S&C coach as well? He tired alright but Peterson really turned the heat up after round 6. It must be an awful kick in the balls for Khan given how much shit he talked about Timothy Bradley ducking him.

But Khan is generally pretty stupid right? In the ring he picks the wrong times to do stuff all the time, like goading, or not going for/going for a finish. He’s pretty brainless and it must be a cunt for the trainer to go from him one day to Manny another.

I actually think he lost alot of speed. Anyone agree?

His biggest problem seems to be that (1) he doesn’t fight at all well on the back foot, and (2) even in all out defensive mode he still lets a lot of shots in. That’s why he was so afraid of taking on Peterson inside and kept pushing him away instead. When he’s retreating he just fucking runs around the place with no proper evasive movement and eventually is trapped on the ropes and pounded for a while.

The fact that he doesn’t counter-punch well is what rounds it off. For a guy like Peterson, all the incentives were for going forward and closing the distance all the time, and what could be worrying for Khan is that template being laid out last night for all to see. I still think he looks really good when he’s in boxing mode and throwing his combinations and I personally didn’t think his hands looked slow. He’ll have to stop blaming the ref and address his deficiencies though or he’ll never go to the next level. If he can’t defend himself properly against a pressure fighter there won’t be much joy in store for him.

Didn’t think they looked slowed, just slowed down.

His defense as you say is very poor.

Peterson-Khan rematch appears to be set for March 31st. Wonder if that’s enough time for Freddie to improve Khan. Should sell well anyway after the show they put on the other night. Oscar’s probably lining up judges to bribe as I type.

How do you lads rate Carl Froch? Seems to have a very hard fight this weekend.

He’s tough and he’s game.

An annoying bollix but goes about his business in the ring well and has done very well to get where he is. Haven’t seen much of Ward but I believe he’s quite good.

Technically sweet, but that would go over the heads of the “throw 1000 punches” type fans like Totti.

Froch has a lethal upper cut, not seen that often anymore. He’s also willing to fight anyone. I’m a fan i must say.

I certainly wouldn’t be describing technique as Froch’s strong point Kevin. He’s got a great heart and an iron chin but he’s pretty slow and it’s his heart and fitness levels that game him through fights, like the Jermaine Taylor bout, where he was outboxed all night only to punish Taylor in the latter rounds with his superior fitness levels.

I also wouldn’t classify myself as a person who always goes for work rate. Work rate only pays off when you force the fight and boss the ring.

Frock has superb technique Totti, he isn’t fast compared to others in this weight. But neither is Bernard Hopkins. Now Hopkins is the master of technique, but you have to stop looking at fights and judging different. I just hope you don’t bet on the fights.

There is certainly a place for a winning fighter in bossing the ring. But forcing the fight is a different thing. Thats what Macklin failed at, but Peterson succeeded at in recent times. But i believe both were up against different fighters, Sturm being a far better boxer than Khan.

Didn’t see Taylor fight, might have a look.

Watched it Totti. It was ragged enough from Froch, i suppose his first real step up in boxing class. Had it level by round 9 though and Froch ahead before end. The Showtime commentators are unbelievably biased to the Yank. They had it 5-0 to Taylor after 4, when it was really 3-1-1 (including knockdown)Fitness was an issue though, you are right about that.

Froch is a much better fight since that fight i would suggest.

I think the judges had Taylor a few rounds up going into the last, a Froch 10-8 would still have been enough for Taylor from my recollection. Haven’t seen much of him since Prime Time took his fights but he looked pretty average when ITV4 covered them, he’s done very well to get to this level and stick in there the past couple of years. I wouldn’t be in a position to comment on how well he’s improved however.

He also has that annoying wench of a wife/girlfriend/fiancee in the crowd with her incessant shrieking.

Just checked it there Kevin, he was behind by four points against Taylor on two scorecards before going into the final round. He was leading by 4 on the other.

Oh i know that, saying how i scored it. The crowd and everyone was going mad for shots in the first few rounds from Taylor that were actually been blocked away by Frock’s right glove.

He was much more impressive against Abraham and Johnson, although it could be argued they are lower level than Taylor, but both far fitter. Taylor is a waste of talent really due to his poor conditioning record.

Ward is a massive test, and i’d say Froch is outsider. Ward is technically excellent and very fast, and younger.

This is pretty class:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYcGdQdoUbc