Boxing Thread

Schaefer is almost as big a cunt as arum,khan will surely look for the rematch to be in england he should win it but petersen will have gained great confidence in beating him and wont start as slowly next time

Don’t know if he will. Khan needs exposure in the States so he can get big fights at welterweight, which is partly the reason they fought in DC in the first place. Ref will have a lot to with the outcome of the rematch, unless Freddie has figured out how to cope with Peterson’s pressure.

In all fairness Khan has a point about the Mystery Man

How good is the guy he’s fighting?

Rico Ramos is the guy he’s fighting. Rated number 2 in the division and is the WBA champion. Has decent power but technically would be nowhere near Rigondeaux. Was getting soundly beaten in his last fight against a highly rated Japanese fighter before he scored a one punch knockout in the 7th round. The thing is Rigondeaux obviously has outstanding skills but he hasn’t really been proven as a pro fighter yet. He won a fairly tame fight against Cordoba (the guy Dunne knocked out) and he destroyed Willie Casey but that’s it so far. This might be the night he really announces himself at this level.

Link to the first episode of HBO’s new documentary series on Freddie Roach - http://sosoboxing.com/?s=freddie+roach - It’s pretty good

Following an easy win over Rico Ramos to lift the WBA 122-pound title belt, Cuban amateur legend and now professional world titleholder Guillermo Rigondeaux called out pound-for-pound contender Nonito Donaire for a future fight.

Donaire is currently set to fight Wilfredo Vazquez Jr next on February 4, the co-feature on HBO’s Chavez vs Rubio show, in what will be the Filipino’s first fight at 122 pounds. The vacant WBO title will be on the line, and fireworks are expected. Also expected is a typically flashy Donaire victory, as he’s once again matched with a mediocre at best defensive fighter who likes to bring offense.

That style, as we’ve seen with Fernando Montiel (TKO-2) and Vic Darchinyan (TKO-5), is tailor made for Donaire’s lightning quick counter punches and nasty knockout power. Vazquez is a quality young fighter, but figures to be a perfect foil for Donaire, who intends to push himself up through the weight classes as quickly as he can.

But now if he avoids Rigondeaux, there should be some cause for questioning and concern.
Because unlike Darchinyan, Montiel, Hernan Marquez, Wladimir Sidorenko, Raul Martinez, or presumably the Puerto Rican on the chopping block next, Guillermo Rigondeaux is a stylistic nightmare for Nonito Donaire.

Rigondeaux (9-0, 7 KO) is never going to win points for being exciting. He’s not. He can be in flashes, which is where his knockout rate comes from, but Rigondeaux is a cautious, measured fighter who doesn’t take risks.

The trouble for Donaire? Rigondeaux also doesn’t make major mistakes. He will ugly up a fight if he has to. And he’s got speed and power in both hands when he sees a mistake from an opponent.
Plus, Rigondeaux is about as confident as they come. He’s a truly calm fighter, sure that he’s better than his opponents. He’s arrogant in a way that works for his success.

When you go back and look at Donaire’s disappointing October snoozer against Omar Narvaez, you’re presented with a few realities:
Donaire has so often fought smaller men, guys he towers over, that you have to consider whether or not he’s purposely matched with guys who just can’t do anything with him. Donaire has the talent to beat men truly his size, or bigger. But he often fights guys who are around 5’2" or 5’3".
Donaire, though he won easily, makes technical mistakes. Narvaez wasn’t big enough to take advantage of much, and clearly wasn’t willing to leave himself open to get starched by Donaire the way past opponents had been. But Donaire is far from flawless, and his highlight reel material isn’t a given.

Guillermo Rigondeaux, who is a little under 5’5", also isn’t a big super bantamweight. But the difference between Rigondeaux and Narvaez is that, first and foremost, Narvaez is really a flyweight, and wasn’t even a big puncher at 112. Also, Rigondeaux has the ability to get back at Donaire on counter opportunities. He’s fast enough and strong enough to do damage, and sturdy enough, it would appear, to take Donaire’s shots without instantly crumbling.

I can envision a scenario where Rigondeaux is almost daring Donaire to throw. Rigondeaux isn’t action-packed, but he can punch. He can also put together sudden charges and flurries that leave opponents bewildered and covering up, because when he chooses to make his move, he comes so quickly, so suddenly, that there’s not much time to react. Rigondeaux has the talent and skill to lull opponents into thinking he’s not going to do anything unless they give him something to prey upon; but that’s not always the case. When Rigondeaux wants to, he can become extremely dangerous in a hurry.

Now, obviously, Nonito Donaire isn’t Rico Ramos, who frankly was incredibly lucky to be in the ring defending a world title belt. And Donaire isn’t Ricardo Cordoba, either – Cordoba being the only fighter to give Rigondeaux any trouble as a professional. Donaire is better than those guys. I would hazard a wager and say, even though we haven’t seen him over 118 pounds, that he’s far better.

But in boxing, as we’ve all learned 1000 times over, styles make fights. And a slick, intelligent, confident, mistake-free southpaw like Rigondeaux is beyond troublesome for Nonito Donaire. Head-to-head, Rigondeaux is one of the toughest potential opponents for Donaire, maybe the toughest. It’s not because Rigondeaux got better last night, or showed anything new. It’s because Rigondeaux is exactly who he is and has been.
It’s no certainty that Rigondeaux would beat Donaire, of course, and that’s not what I’m saying. Donaire is a phenomenally talented fighter, one of the most explosive offensive forces in the sport today, and has both his popularity and his mythical pound-for-pound standing for a reason.
What there is for certain, in my view, is the risk: Rigondeaux can beat Donaire, and stands a very good chance of doing so should he get the opportunity. In fact, he stands a good chance of shutting him down and making him look bad, which is even worse. Maybe it’s a 50-50 fight. Maybe it’s 60-40 in Donaire’s favor. But boxing promoters don’t generally like to make fights with their star fighters that are any less than 70-30 on paper for the fortunate son. It does happen, but not often.

Which is why, quite frankly, I doubt Donaire will go near him, or perhaps more accurately, why I doubt Top Rank will ever seriously consider putting that fight together. They’re not dummies: Donaire has value as a potential star fighter. Rigondeaux does not. Risking Donaire’s upside on a guy like Rigondeaux might be interesting boxing for many of us, but it’s not your typical boxing business.

Anyone see David Price knock out John McDermott last night? I’d say a lot of the pikey community had money on a first round KO from Price, McDermott went down 3 times without hardly being touched.

Price looks an impressive speciman though, twas my first time seeing him, could he be a legit threat to the Klitschkos in time?

I agree with the conclusion but not the reasoning. I don’t think Arum will put the fight together because of the genuine risk Rigondeaux poses to Donaire, but I think it’s wrong to say Rigondeaux doesn’t have star potential. He’s already hugely popular among boxing fans, and if he beats a couple of big names the public will eventually jump on the bandwagon as well. His activity level is still too low, but the fight the other night looked especially bad because Ramos was afraid of his life to exchange with him. Once he gets in with guys who aren’t afraid to attack him he could look unbelievable. Floyd Mayweather was booed in a lot of his early fights as well, but once he picked apart a few big names that came to a end pretty quickly.

Thought it was very good, not afraid to show his faults, but the last line of it nearly drew a tear. Hard man, and i believe what he says.Won’t ruin it on anyone, but you don’t have to like boxing to enjoy this.

Cotto vs Mayweather on May 5th

Have you any interest in the action at the Stadium on Friday night for the National senior finals WTB or are you purely a pro man? looks like could be a good night especially in an Olympic year with Egan v Ward the obvious highlight…

Joe Ward v Kenneth Egan in the big Irish Heavyweight Championship starting now.

Ward started very well.

Great performance by Ward there. No argument at all. If he keeps his head in the event in Turkey and qualifies for London he could give it a real shot.

Congrats to Enniscorthys Adam Nolan who beat one of the John Joes tonight to win a national title. He’ll fight for an Olympic spot in a while apparently. Katie Taylors Da is training him.

Saw a few clips, Irelands amateur boxers are at a very high level. Ward is a phenom

I saw that fight last night, it had an extra bit of spice to it seeing as it was a Gard beating the shit out of a traveller.

[quote=“manaboutdog, post: 17935”]

I saw that fight last night, it had an extra bit of spice to it seeing as it was a Gard beating the shit out of a traveller.[/quote]

Out in the Coach?

:lol:

It’s mad to think he’s a garda. He had growth issues when he was younger. He was barely 5 foot tall most of the way through secondary school.