Boxing Thread

That was the best fight on show. The creamer will never live it down though.
Nolan was quare happy for everyone down in Oulart.

Is Egan out of the Olympics picture now?

Yes

Chavez Jr and Nonito Donaire fighting on the same card tonight for those that are interested. Should be a stream here - http://www.firstrowsports.eu/sport/boxing-wwe-ufc.html

Is this the next bout WTB? Sounds like it might be a good un. I see the lad on ESPN tweeting that Chavez was on the piss a couple of weeks ago and struggled to make the weight.

No I think there’s six fights on the card so it’ll be late (or early for some people). Yeah apparently he struggled to make the weight alright and looked like shit yesterday, The drink driving thing only came out a few hours ago.

freddie will be seething with jr,if he loses that will be him finished with roach

You’d have to wonder what the deal is with him beyond being a money making machine for top rank. He’s probably the most derided belt holder in the sport. Not his fault he has his father’s name I suppose but he’s benefited from it plenty as well.

Seems to have been straightforward enough for jr last night

Way too big for Rubio. He just leaned on him and walked him backwards around the ring. Rubio was expected to be dangerous enough on the outside but he hadn’t enough stopping power to frighten Chavez at all. Chavez just walked right into him, took the odd break, and went back to work again. Very comfortable for him considering all the talk before the fight. Said he’d fight Cotto, Margarito, or Martinez afterwards.

Donaire’s fight was good. He looked excellent for the first 4 rounds but Vazquez was a quality opponent. Some brilliant counter-punching from him but he just didn’t have the power to really hurt Donaire. All the more reason to think that Donaire-Rigondeaux would be a great match. One flash knockdown from Donaire but Vazquez was straight up after it. Doesn’t look like he’s going to bring his power up the weight classes the way Pacquiao did.

Amir Khan - Lamont Peterson rematch agreed for May 19th in Vegas. Massive fight for both of them.

Watched Hagler Hearns and Benn McLennan tonight. Jaysus they were super fights. Poor oul Gerald McLennan

Have you ever read Four Kings? It’s about Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, and Duran and all their fights. It was some era. Hearns broke his hand in the first round of that Hagler fight. He said Hagler’s head was the hardest fucking thing he’d ever hit in his life.

Marvelous (one l) Marvin Hagler. :clap:

I didn’t wtb. But I should. Is that the book by George Kimball? I lived through that era and saw most of those fights live. It was some era compared to the joke that is boxing now.

I was listening to Gerry Eisenberg talking about Angelo Dundee on otb tonight and was wondering why boxing has the best sports journalists.

Because it’s journaled by some lovely Jews.

[quote=“Mr. Totti, post: 17953”]

Because it’s journaled by some lovely Jews.[/quote]

Gerry Eisenberg isnt a Jew. Neither is Norman Mailer or George Kimball or Donald McRae. Nor Studs Terkel. So I don’t get the point. And even if they were what gives?

:strokechin:

It’s the rawest element of sport. It’s the essence of what all other sports pretend to be, out and out combat, but it’s also tempered by real craft and science. It’s about individual stories in a way that other sports are not. Two guys going to war with each other just makes for better storytelling than two teams. There are two many characters in those stories, the story gets too diluted.

That’s my explanation anyway. Because it definitely is true, it makes for the greatest storytelling in all of sport.

Yeah if you lived through the era it would appeal to you even more than it did to me. Lots of great stories about the main characters.