Brexit a dó

We got some.

It’s the future of the EU you should be worried about… Not what the EEC did in 1976.

Militarisation is the road they are going down.

Also, the single currency has been a huge failure.

Yeah being able to use the euro when we go in holidays all across Europe has been a real disaster alright.

Convenience at a micro level sadly isn’t an indicator as to whether a currency has been successful or not

That drum has been banged in every referendum from the beginning. All the big players are already in NATO

When I lived in London some of the lads in the office that didn’t want to be seen reading the Sun would read the Torygraph. Basically the same slant and news in broadsheet without the tits on page 3.

1 Like

Who oversees and sets the agenda for EDTIC?

Trump and Brexit can be looked at as encouraging EU to see how it defends itself but nothing significant will happen outside NATO imo

It has definitely got worse in the last couple of years. There are a lot of wishful thinking merchants writing in it.

1 Like

I’ve said before on here that my experience of working in England and with English people is that the veneer of friendly charm towards Ireland and the Irish goes away very quickly if they feel they have lost the upper hand or you have an edge on them. If they are in the box seat it’s all very nice.

If they feel their influence is slipping or you’ve got ahead in some way the pat on the head becomes a closed fist.

Once that happens and their position is compromised there’s a significant element who show their true colours and can’t help revealing they see us and our country as inferior.

The reaction to Biden visit is entirely consistent with that.

6 Likes

Who’s that?

To be honest, in my experience they treat the Poles and the Indians the same. They have a colonial mentality.

2 Likes

I got a good deal on the Times recently. Something like a quid a month for six months.

1 Like

That is true.

Attitudes surveys consistently show they think the empire was “a good thing”.

It was - for them. London is a magnificent city and that is thanks to the spoils of Empire.

They also think it was good for the world and the places they went to and they don’t want to hear any different.

It used to be. It’s much worse now. It foments violence and hatred by spinning half truths and outright lies. There’s an odd decent article by an odd journalist who ploughs their own furrow, but on the whole it’s a demeaning hateful bit of propaganda.

I’d have to say that it may be the circles I have subconsciously veered towards, but I haven’t found that.
I also wouldn’t conflate the reaction of “the English” with the reaction of “the telegraph”. Most English either don’t know or don’t care.
The empire thing is entirely due to the teaching which has been dictated by the piss smelling purple face brigade until recently. Now it’s absolutely all over the shop.
England has worked well for some, but for many, they were treated exactly the same as the Irish and other colonies. Worse in some respects. It’s been an establishment Vs the impoverished at every turn.

2 Likes

Take that Paddy.