Brexit a dó

That and the sensational slant that all media need to put on things to get clicks.

Hon Joe, sew it into the tan cunts.

Is Nile Gardiner a new pseudonym for “Disgusted, Tunbridge Wells”?

Nile Gardiner is the Director of the Margaret Thatcher Center for Freedom at The Heritage Foundation*

He got his name from his ancestors having a big house in Egypt, I presume.

The brazen hypocrisy of these chancers is remarkable. Margaret Thatcher signed the Single European Act which created the European single market.

The United Kingdom, under the Conservative Party premiership of Margaret Thatcher, claimed credit for framing of the SEA. It was Thatcher’s nominee to the Delors Commission, Lord Cockfield, who, as the commissioner responsible for the Single Market, drew up the initial White Paper.[15]

For Thatcher, the Act represented the realisation of Britain’s long-standing “free-trade” vision for Europe. Moving beyond the tariff-free commitment of the Common Market, the act would dismantle the “insidious” barriers to intra-Community trade posed by “differing national standards, various restrictions on the provision of services, [and the] exclusion of foreign firms from public contracts”.[16] To create a single market with purchasing power “bigger than Japan, bigger than the United States”, Britain and her partners were committed to:

> Action to make it possible for insurance companies to do business throughout the Community [for the British economy financial services played an outsized role]. Action to let people practice their trades and professions freely throughout the Community. Action to remove the customs barriers and formalities so that goods can circulate freely and without time-consuming delays. Action to make sure that any company could sell its goods and services without let or hindrance. Action to secure free movement of capital throughout the Community.[16]

In promoting the Single Market, in the SEA Thatcher made compromises that a growing body of opinion in her Conservative Party were to regard as fatal. Pressured by German Chancellor Helmut Kohl she accepted the references, she had hoped to avoid, to a future European Union and to a common currency (monetary union).[15]

1 Like

I just want to quote this again because it makes me giggle like a schoolgirl.

3 Likes

And there, for once and probably once only, we can completely agree.

A sign of maturity: being able to live with imperfection.

The EU’s biggest long term issue remains its agriculture policy. Any acre of ground can only give so much. We should not be paying soccer players for pretense of being basketballers.

2 Likes

Jesus- that’s almost as needy as Ryan Tubridy asking a Hollywood B lister if he likes us

1 Like

You should probably be down on your hands and knees thanking the older generations for having the wit to join it.

4 Likes

The Aras looks resplendent. This is fantastic to watch.

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

I signed up to some bargain plan for the Telegraph online. I had a nostalgia for the Telegraph - my mother used to take the Telegraph the odd time when she wanted something different to read and the sister (who used to live in England) used to read it on a Saturday because it had a good travel section. My memory of it was as a conservative middle England paper, well written with a kind of end of Empire feel to it. There was a know thine enemy feel to reading it as well.

Since I signed up though it has become apparent to me that it has become a far right anti immigrant anti lgbt English nationalist batshit rag. I was mildly astonished that something that I remembered reasonably fondly had become so twisted and hateful. I’ve cancelled my sub and am getting the dregs of the last month now.

10 Likes

Its bizarre. The owners are unhinged though. It’s a shame. It’s won the race to the bottom of the broadsheets by a furlong.

I don’t remember a time when it hasn’t been that.

The opinion columns of these supposedly respectable papers like the Telegraph and the Wall Street Journal (and their news sections are largely reputable) are filled with angry reactionaries with hilariously stupid worldviews who wouldn’t be much above Labane or Glenshane or Tom Brady or Gemtrails making fools of themselves every time they write.

This is the natural denouement of that worldview being exposed as the utter fraud it is. The rabid anger of the powerful elites constantly ranting at the powerless or even any politician who represents a tepid form of social democracy.

1 Like

Telegraph was always right wing, but it’s now absolutely hateful.

If ye hadn’t stayed neutral in WW2 we might have got in earlier

That would be my read of it.

One of the great what ifs in Irish history.

Some of that sweet sweet Marshall plan money could have been a game changer.