BREXIT thread

Pissing contest resumes in 10,9.8…

1 Like

We know what Corbyn is explicitly against on Brexit, ie. no deal, which he is entirely correct about, but few people know what he’s for, except that it is a vague promise to “deliver Brexit” with some form of re-negotiated deal, which is unrealistic.

Nevertheless, it’s a more coherent position than a PM whose position in the two months since she signed that deal, has been to renegotiate it.

Most Labour supporters realise current party policy is unrealistic and amounts to esentially unicorns, and that is why Corbyn’s support has dropped. There is no doubt that there is significant dissent on this issue which could explode very soon if he doesn’t shift position to favouring a second referendum, the explicit possibility of which he left open at the party conference in September if all other options failed (all else has now failed). But he seems extremely reluctant to embrace the position he set out the road to at the conference, now that the end of that road has pretty much been reached.

As long as Labour doesn’t explicitly endorse a second referendum, they can’t be a proper opposition. But if they endorse a second referendum, they then risk being painted as “going against the will of the people”.

For me the time for fence sitting has well passed and Labour need to explicitly take an opposition position instead of trying to be all things to all people. This is about what’s right for Britain as a country, and given that the Tory government so obviously cannot put the interests of the country first, and have refused to do so at all points since Brexit even became an idea, Labour need to be seen to do so, however belatedly.

There wont be a general election before March 29th. Any hypothetical general election in the near to medium term would likely be fought largely on matters other than Brexit. Everybody said that Brexit would be by far the main issue that the 2017 election would be fought on, yet it didn’t rank near the top issues. This has coloured Corbyn’s fence sitting on Brexit.

4 Likes

Why don’t you summarize what his position on Brexit is, or kindly fuck off with your banal wrong again bullshit?

I have seen nothing that outlines what his actual position is, other than taking potshots at May from the trenches.

Thanks.

Customs union.

A unicorny unattainable all the benefits customs union.

No more chance he can get it than May can get her unicorn solution.

1 Like

Exactly. Promising what can be done after a Brexit deal, while refusing to engage in the Brexit deal.

In other words he’s doing exactly what the opposition should be doing.

What do you expect him to do?

He’s working on an ascension plan.

Whatever happens he’s going to have some fucking mess to clean up

1 Like

It’s more realistic than may’s plan. Far less detail offered obviously, which I think is a good approach for the opposition to take. I’m not saying he has performed well or very convincingly on Brexit by the way.

Foster is the only one who’s utilizing the chaos of brexit to her advantage. She’s putting pressure on May and Varadker left right and centre.

She’s a bigger set of balls than Leo who is having a nightmare.

Basically saying now,now every once in a while. The useless cunt

Strange comment. May went through a negotiation with the EU to come to her withdrawal deal. I am not aware of Corbyn having done similar.

We’ll see what happens with the DUP at the next election. There has to be a pile of people and groups in the 6 counties well pissed off with their stance.

2 Likes

That’s even stranger. I wasn’t aware Corbyn was in a position to negotiate with the EU

1 Like

If you think this crackpot can clean up anything, you must truly believe in unicorns.

If Corbyn had any interest in the well being of his country, he would have joined with the conservative government in negotiating the best possible Brexit deal, and worried about becoming PM at the next opportunity. That would have shown leadership, the opposite of what he is sadly. He is a spineless, self serving coward who has opposed UK membership of the EU for decades and hid during the referendum.

I didn’t say he was.

She’s doing her utmost to make sure the 6 counties stay in the UK.

To the detriment of the people of the North.

1 Like

I would say if put to a vote today, there are more people in NI who would prefer to be in the EU than the UK.

The North voted to stay in the referendum

I know that.