BREXIT thread

That’s why we should hype up NI being cut off and left to die by England - Win over the middle ground up north and play up the humanitarian crisis at the border if it does happen.

The number one goal for Ireland is not getting that shit show back; it is maintaining the ease of movement to the U.K. as a whole, the cross services recognition made possible in the EU and free access to their market.

Grow up chaps, we did he whole nationalist bollix for 40 years after independence and it didn’t work.

Because there’s no chance of ii) happening, whereas there is a very realistic chance of i) happening.

People take the absence of a border these days for granted, but it was something that had be both fought for and negotiated over for decades.

Some of us remember the previous situation at the border which pertained up to the 90s and don’t want to go back there. Even as late as 2003 British Army soldiers with huge guns hung over their shoulders would stop you on the road coming out of Clones after a match.

1 Like

That’s all fine, but it was a poll on what people think… not what’s likely to happen. The partitionist paper could just have easily highlighted what brexiteers are really thinking but they dont want to encourage that kind of thing. They’re hoping for a soft brexit and for the status quo to be maintained.

2 Likes

You’re the metaphorical lovechild of Cromwell and Arlene. They’d despise you but view you as the sort of simpleton that at least does as he’s told.

2 Likes

Brexiteers are dumb unionist types when you really get down to brass tacks. They’re the sort that keep pushing the Jeremy Corbyn was in the IRA line.

They’re probably even more wedded to their hard Brexit, imperial Britain trading on the high seas of the world fantasy than they are to maintaining the “union”, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t committed to keeping the six counties part of that.

It’s because they’re dumb arch-unionists that they don’t care about a hard border.

I don’t give a shite about either of them tbh.

I care about the Irish State and our economy not falling off a cliff because of toxic nationalism in the U.K. and misty eyed nationalism in the Republic.

Poll the public in the Irish State on the choice between a 32 county Republic with restricted access to mainland Britain or the as close to the status quo as now and I know what the answer will be. Because that is why this is being suggested, so that Britain can go off to the high seas in pursuit of glorious trade deals. Away from pesky customs and away from aspects of the single market they don’t like. Both of which are complicated by the continued existence of Northern Ireland.

Dim is a through and through establishment man. When the wind changes he’ll change with it.

1 Like

Your economy went off the edge of a cliff before. You were bailed out as I recall.

ooooffffttt

I don’t recall Dim warning us about reckless lending or the property bubble yet he is animated about this

the ultimate establishment stooge

1 Like

I don’t recall being here brah.

No mention of the outrageous public spending from you here I note.

you were posting as @gola

1 Like

Gibraltar in the news now.

That’s a tricky one also.
I’d say Spain would take that one back if they got it.
Unfortunately it’s still full of expats.

What’s an expat?

The Spanish will gladly take it – they’ve been making life as intolerable for people coming and going off the island for a long time now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expatriate

The only realistic solution here is a partially independent Northern Ireland with local Goverment control over taxes, trade agreements etc. It can remain nominally within the U.K. and they can establish some sort UK government separate to the Westminister government to make themselves feel better. The new UK government can retain control over defence and shit and they can retain the Queen as their head of state and as many Flegs as they want, but they will remain in the free trade and travel zones, with some special trade agreement with the UK and state support from the UK and EU

People who have emigrated?

Why dont you call them immigrants?

1 Like

White people cant be immigrants mate

3 Likes

Not when you take on the lexicon of the colonizer

Examples of “expats” are Syrians living in Ballaghdereen, Turks working in financial services, on building sites or in professional football in Germany, or Mexicans working on farms in the US.

1 Like