British Loins Tour to New Zealand 2017 - Official Thread

1. I told u we pulled out when we heard it was a rugby comp. We thought it was a pool comp.

I’m sure Laois and those other teams have won plenty of challenge matches over the years against better teams too mate

Test Matches.

You have failed to answer the question and numerous examples have been shown here of teams winning in recent years versus higher ranked opponents.

In friendlies yes

Still waiting. There are numerous examples of victories in Test matches and the latest RWC for the nations mentioned and you have yet to provide me with any from the GGA?

You’re comparing friendly matches in rugby to championship matches in hurling. There are less one off victories in hurling but there is more chance of teams making a breakthrough and consistently competing in hurling. Japan for example beat South Africa in the last World Cup yet couldn’t beat Scotland and didn’t get out of the group and haven’t done much since. Dublin and Wexford over the last 10 years have gone from being down there with Laois and Offaly at different stages to becoming a force in the game. Cork were about to exit the championship this time last year and have been the most impressive team in the championship so far this year probably

Cork? :joy: You’re actually comparing Cork to a country like Japan in rugby? You’re absolutely bonkers.

You mentioned 4 counties. You have failed to show any wins in the last few years for these ones. Apparently these are 4 of the 14 counties who play hurling seriously. You mentioned them, back it up.

The counties you talk about “making a breakthrough” such as Dublin and Wexford are traditional counties, and Dublin is a city of a million people so it would be a bloody poor lookout if Dublin couldn’t get in some way competitive with all the money pumped into hurling there over the last 15 years.

If you’re to take all the counties outside the top 10 (that’s a top 10 including Offaly), none of them have had a really noteworthy championship win in decades - Antrim fluked a win over a very naive Dublin team in 2010 but within a short time were plumbing depths as bad as they’ve ever experienced.

The likes of Laois, Antrim, Kerry, Meath, Westmeath, Carlow, Kildare etc. are all as far away from making a “breakthrough” now as they ever have been and in reality they’re probably a lot further away.

Like who

Yeah good comparison alright. Really be interesting to see if cork can finally after all these years get to dine at the top table

I’m not sure what we’re actually arguing about at the minute tbh :laughing:

Are these my feet

Where’s my house?

1 Like

Not particularly

After that unwelcome nonsense from a certain poster today, it’s back to the real business.

Given that our correspondent @GeoffreyBoycott is presumably somewhere over the Indian Ocean at the moment, I’ll post up the teams.

The British Loins announce their starting XV and replacements for the second test in Wellington at 0130 tomorrow British Summer Time.

In the meantime, New Zealand have announced the following starting XV and replacements.

Ben Smith and Ryan Crotty have been ruled out due to injury. Israel Dagg moves to full-back in Smith’s absence.

Anton Lienert-Brown continues his deputising for Crotty from the start this time.

Waisake Naholo comes in at right-wing three-quarters.

New Zealand starting XV to face the British Loins in the second test:

15 - I. J. A. Dagg (Hawke’s Bay & Crusaders)
14 - W.R. Naholo (Taranaki & Highlanders)
13 - A.R. Lienert-Brown (Waikato & Chiefs)
12 - S.W. Williams (Counties Manukau & Blues)
11 - R.E. Ioane (Auckland & Blues)
10 - B.J. Barrett (Taranaki & Hurricanes)
9 - A.L. Smith (Manawatu & Highlanders)
1 - J.P.T. Moody (Canterbury & Crusaders)
2 - C.J.D. Taylor (Canterbury & Crusaders)
3 - O.T. Franks (Canterbury & Crusaders)
4 - B.A. Retallick (Hawke’s Bay & Chiefs)
5 - S.L. Whitelock (Canterbury & Crusaders)
6 - J. Kaino (Auckland & Blues)
7 - S.J. Cane (Bay of Plenty & Chiefs)
8 - K.J. Read (Canterbury & Crusaders) (captain)

Replacements
16 - N.P. Harris (Bay of Plenty & Chiefs)
17 - W.W.V. Crockett (Canterbury & Crusaders)
18 - C.C. Faumuina (Auckland & Blues)
19 - S.K. Barrett (Canterbury & Crusaders)
20 - A.S. Savea (Wellington & Hurricanes)
21 - T.J. Perenara (Wellington & Hurricanes)
22 - A. C. Cruden (Manawatu & Chiefs)
23 - N. Laumape (Manawatu & Hurricanes)

British Loins team to face New Zealand in the second test in Wellington on Saturday:

Starting XV
15 - L.B. Williams (Waunarlwydd, Scarlets & Wales)
14 - A.K.C. Watson (Bath & England)
13 - J.J.V. Davies (Llanelli, Scarlets & Wales)
12 - O.A. Farrell (Saracens & England)
11 - E.F. Daly (Wasps & England)
10 - J.J. Sexton (St Mary’s College, Leinster & Ireland)
9 - G.C. Murray (Garryowen, Munster & Ireland)
1 - M.W.I.W.N.A. Vunipola (Saracens & England)
2 - J.E. George (Saracens & England),
3 - T.P. Furlong (New Ross, Leinster & Ireland)
4 - O.M. Itoje (Saracens & England)
5 - A.W. Jones (Bonymaen, Ospreys & Wales)
6 - S.K Warburton (Cardiff, Blues & Wales) Captain
7 - S.K. O’Brien (Tullow, Leinster & Ireland)
8 - T.T. Faletau (Bath & Wales)

Replacements
16 - K.J. Owens (Llanelli, Scarlets & Wales)
17 - J.C. McGrath (St Mary’s College, UCD & Ireland)
18 - K.N.J.S. Sinckler (Harlequins & England)
19 - C.L. Lawes (Northampton & England)
20 - C.J. Stander (Shannon, Munster & Ireland)
21 - R.Webb (Bridgend, Ospreys & Wales)
22 - B.J. Te’o (Worcester & England)
23 - J.T. Nowell (Exeter & England)

Gatland hasn’t a clue. The jobs too big for him

4 Likes

Deary me

2 Likes

Cringe

sigh