Broadband Provider

What’s up homies? I am currently with UPC and was very happy with their service up until 2 months ago when, once it hits 9:30 pm or so, the speed hits pathetic levels. I’ve been onto them a few times and their only solution is to upgrade to their 100mb package-my current package is the 50mb but I just did a speed test there and my download speed is 0.8mb. There flippant attitude to my dilemma has pissed me off so I am looking at changing providers. Are there better alternatives out there?

Note Eircom is not an option as their holier than thou attitude to me ripping off movies and albums doesn’t sit well with me.

Thanks in advance.

Vodafone is shit, steer clear.

Agreed on Vodafone.

UPC is generally considered the best and most reliable broadband - but they are shite to deal with it if you’re having problems. There are plenty of resellers in the market too so sometimes changing provider (for the old phoneline broadband type) won’t change anything at all in terms of service.

Ring UPC and tell them you’re off to Sky and they might be more inclined to fix your problem. But if you’re on a street with shitty cabling there isn’t much they can do.

This is the problem though-it is generally fine but for the last 2 months about 3 or 4 nights a week, it slows down to dial-up speed. It is pathetic at the moment but I’ve never heard of anyone proposing a better provider than UPC. The 100mb package is only a few quid dearer and I would happily upgrade but not if the same problem persists. Download speeds of 0.8 when they are supposed to be up to 50 is shite and doubling the upper limit to 100 is fuck all use if it doubles the lower limit to 1.6. I’m probably stuck with the cunts but was hoping there were decent alternatives out there.

Are you giving your internet enough fibre?

Are you using wifi or an ethernet connection. It might be the modem/router that’s giving problems if you’re using the wifi.

Wifi and the modem is 3 years old now so I’m guessing it’s probably due an upgrade but I’ve 2 mates living within 6 or 7 hundred yards or so who are both with UPC and they are having the same issue-one of their’s modem is 1 year old but the other lad only got it in about 3 months ago.

There is a recurring problem with the new modem/router (2 in 1). They seem to go searching for connections and end up dropping and then resuming the connection a lot and that causes the wifi to disappear or to slow down really badly.

Try plugging in with a cable when it’s slow and see if that resolves it. If it does a new router will sort the problem but not just a replacement of the existing model.

I’ve tried soaking it in apple juice overnight with my muesli but even that hasn’t worked.

Sorry mate just to be clear you reckon a new modem would solve the problem? If I upgrade to 100mb, then they will send out a new modem(a newer fancier version so the UPC salesman tells me) for a small €45 fee. He said it’s some new version that everyone will have to switch to in 12 to 18 months anyway(he also mentioned something about magic beans).

[quote=“Horsebox, post: 732977”]

Sorry mate just to be clear you reckon a new modem would solve the problem? If I upgrade to 100mb, then they will send out a new modem(a newer fancier version so the UPC salesman tells me) for a small €45 fee. He said it’s some new version that everyone will have to switch to in 12 to 18 months anyway(he also mentioned something about magic beans).[/quote]

Yes and no. If you have a laptop test the connection with a cable and not wifi. If that’s fine then it’s just your wifi. Unfortunately the new modems they are sending out seem to have the same problem so better off buying one online. But check that’s the problem first.

Will do-many thanks. If I buy one online, what type of one should I be looking for to avoid this problem?

Is there anybody else on UPC broadband in Dublin who has been having problems connecting over the last few days?

Mine has been playing up all week but it’s completely taking the piss this morning. I’m able to connect now and again downstairs but the desktop upstairs isn’t picking up anything at all even though the computer usually says that the internet is connected.

Also when the internet does connect on my laptop downstairs it’s at crawl speed. I would have edited that last post instead of writing this new one but my internet wasn’t fast enough to allow me edit it.

Best wait for one of your buddies down the road to upgrade first and see what happens. Or find somebody who has it already.

Any of you cunts outside the pale have Sky Broadband? Is it a decent alternative to eircom?

Its the exact same service. You might be able to get a discount on a bundle maybe

How much is it Julio? I tried getting in touch with Sky but haven’t been able to since they introduced the broadband over here. I am extremely impatient and don’t stay on the line past 4 or 5 rings but I am interested in their product. Is it any good? I am paying about €110 per month now for Sky and UPC broadband.

Steer well clear of Sky for now. All they are doing is offering broadband over Eircom lines afaik. Its a joke at the moment. Wait until they offer it via their dishes and then it will be worth considering.

Yes I was thinking that Flano-will wait for them to sort out their teething problems and stick with those utter cunts UPC for the time being.