Buying a new TV

Thinking about getting one of these. Anyone got one? All feedback will be gratefully received

http://www.samsung.com/ie/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE40F6500SBXXU

Looks awesome

There was a thread here a few weeks ago on TVs. Have a search.

It all depends what you want to do with it. Do you know?
I like to use the TV for watching TV and my PC for the internet. What about you?

Make sure you get the right size for your room size. Have a search on that.
It doesn’t have WiFi built in. So it all depends on your setup if you need this or not.

[quote=“habanerocat, post: 871605, member: 1513”]There was a thread here a few weeks ago on TVs. Have a search.

It all depends what you want to do with it. Do you know?
I like to use the TV for watching TV and my PC for the internet. What about you?

Make sure you get the right size for your room size. Have a search on that.
It doesn’t have WiFi built in. So it all depends on your setup if you need this or not.[/quote]

Don’t plan on doing too much interneting on it, I’ll use the laptop / phone for that. Not sure if I need a smart TV but there is no point in being left behind for the sake of a few quid.

Excuse my ignorance but why would it need wifi built in?

[quote=“Fran, post: 871609, member: 110”]Don’t plan on doing too much interneting on it, I’ll use the laptop / phone for that. Not sure if I need a smart TV but there is no point in being left behind for the sake of a few quid.

Excuse my ignorance but why would it need wifi built in?[/quote]

With built in wi-fi it would automatically connect to your wifi network at home without the need for any additional adapters or cables

Whats your TV signal source, as in SKY, UPC, Saorview, IPtv?
Have you broadband in the house?

Two Powerline Adaptors are a far better option than WiFi I find for the TV at home.

They basically carry the network around the house using the electricity cables.

[quote=“Fran, post: 871609, member: 110”]Don’t plan on doing too much interneting on it, I’ll use the laptop / phone for that. Not sure if I need a smart TV but there is no point in being left behind for the sake of a few quid.

Excuse my ignorance but why would it need wifi built in?[/quote]
Samsung want people using their software now so their price difference between smart and non smart tvs is very small when there are direct options. Most of their decent stuff is smart TV only anyway.

[quote=“habanerocat, post: 871616, member: 1513”]Whats your TV signal source, as in SKY, UPC, Saorview, IPtv?
Have you broadband in the house?[/quote]

UPC horizon incl. broadband

Right So!

I assume at the moment you have a separate TV box and modem for UPC. To get the full benefit of the new HD TV you’ll need to upgrade to the newer HD UPC box. The new box they supply has the modem built in so you can connect the Ethernet directly with a LAN cable. Unfortunately they will take back your modem so you will be stuck with WiFi for your broadband needs elsewhere around the house.

In the above situation your new TV will be fine. Correct me if any of the assumptions I made are wrong.

[quote=“habanerocat, post: 871661, member: 1513”]Right So!

I assume at the moment you have a separate TV box and modem for UPC. To get the full benefit of the new HD TV you’ll need to upgrade to the newer HD UPC box. The new box they supply has the modem built in so you can connect the Ethernet directly with a LAN cable. Unfortunately they will take back your modem so you will be stuck with WiFi for your broadband needs elsewhere around the house.

In the above situation your new TV will be fine. Correct me if any of the assumptions I made are wrong.[/quote]

Thanks @habanerocat, I already have the new UPC box including the modem. Presume I just connect this to the TV with a CAT6 cable?

[quote=“Fran, post: 871595, member: 110”]Thinking about getting one of these. Anyone got one? All feedback will be gratefully received

http://www.samsung.com/ie/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE40F6500SBXXU

http://www.hispek.com/sysimages/origimages/F6500-3_pr15428_3.jpg[/quote]

How much do you have to spend?

Cat5 or cat6, there should have been one in the UPC box when you got it. It should auto setup for you.

I read else where that new UPC box is/was causing new smart TVs to freeze. I think they were only LGs but it might be worth saying it to the guy in the shop.

I don’t have any limits in place (within reason obviously) but I can get this one for €300 less in Germany than what you pay in Harvey Norman

The German one probably doesn’t have a Saorview tuner or a three pin plug and it’ll be a mess if you have to send it back. But other than that she should be good to go.

Bought something similar a few weeks back. Sound isn’t great on them hence you see sound bars in front of them in the shops so Id recommend buying it with it if you can get a deal with it…that’ll be my next purchase. Also, it’s no good for browsing without the keyboard but you’ll do that on your PC anyway. Apart from that its all good.

You can search for shit on you tube on your phone and then send it straight to the tv to watch it immediately which is great, although Id say that could be with the in built wifi.

I’m useless with technology so I rang Samsung to ask a question and they dialled into the telly and walked me through it and answered my question…bit like the IT Crowd in work so that was cool. Overall an excellent purchase.

Bought a Samsung 46" LED 3D Smart TV last week. Looks like the one in the link you have. Seems decent enough so far. Can’t say I’m all that arsed with the Smart element as I use Apple TV. There’s fuck all 3D content but there was only a €30 difference between the 3D version and the non-3D version.

You’ll definitely need a sound bar.

[quote=“Ebeneezer Goode, post: 872239, member: 1785”]

I’m useless with technology so I rang Samsung to ask a question and they dialled into the telly and walked me through it and answered my question…bit like the IT Crowd in work so that was cool. [/quote]

:eek: what if you were “flicking” through channels and Babestation was on

Chancing my arm here as I dont think there is a relevant thread.

Has anyone bought a sonos speaker and bridge? Considering it for my house

[quote=“ciarancareyshurlingarmy, post: 874792, member: 464”]Chancing my arm here as I dont think there is a relevant thread.

Has anyone bought a sonos speaker and bridge? Considering it for my house[/quote]
Friend has one and raves about it. Has the sonos soundbar and two more sonos 1 or 3.
Expensive but can be built up over time. Bridge is free at the moment with a sonos.
That kind of technology would have been huge amount even two or here years ago. Only getting cheaper