Cable TV

Moving apartment over the weekend and have decided to upgrade this so that I can watch football in the house instead of heading to the pub all the time.

I am aware of the NTL packages but outside of that don’t really have a clue.

The basic package with NTL is around 30 quid a month with an additional 40 for Sky Sports and Movies which seems a bit steep - is there anything better out there?

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Moving apartment over the weekend and have decided to upgrade this so that I can watch football in the house instead of heading to the pub all the time.

The basic package with NTL is around 30 quid a month with an additional 40 for Sky Sports and Movies which seems a bit steep - is there anything better out there?[/quote]

I was paying 19.95 for basic NTL in my last place up until this month? I also remember some prick from Sky calling to the door offering basic Sky for 20. I never had a dodgy box and while everyone was raving about them last year, my mate who has one is regularly without the sports channels due to them being scrambled. And I was of the impression he had one of the best ones. Very annoying.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Moving apartment over the weekend and have decided to upgrade this so that I can watch football in the house instead of heading to the pub all the time.

The basic package with NTL is around 30 quid a month with an additional 40 for Sky Sports and Movies which seems a bit steep - is there anything better out there?[/quote]

Yes.

[spoiler] Bribe your cable guy to give you all the channels for free. Works every time.

http://runningdownhill.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/normal_cableguy-still23.jpg [/spoiler]

Have the sky sports myself farmer but starting to wonder if the amount I need it is worth the 30 euro a month extra.
Depends how often you think you’d watch the channels apart from live games cos Almost every game is available on the internet now if you’ve a fairly fast connection.
Other than that I suppose highlights programmes etc are on the sports channels but I wouldn’t watch many of them.
ESPN Classic is a great channel imo and is available if you just get the Digital Max basic package ie no sports add ons.

Steep enough but surely you are sharing? I pay 42 quid a month towards ntl for digital tv with Sky Sports and ESPN, fast broadband, and home phone line with some free calls or something. Can’t complain really.

I’ve said it before and i’ll say it again.

BRIBE THE CABLE GUY.

http://www.cinemademerde.com/Cable_Guy-suckit.gif

[quote=“The Dunph”]I’ve said it before and i’ll say it again.

BRIBE THE CABLE GUY.

http://www.cinemademerde.com/Cable_Guy-suckit.gif[/quote]

All joking aside, does that actually work in Ireland? I’d say NTL would be able to tell you’re getting the extra channels but maybe not?

:rolleyes:

I have ntl and haven’t paid for it since I moved in. Fools haven’t cut it off either. ntl is the worst run company in Ireland.

:thumbsup:

NTL are utter gobshites.

NTL are utter gobshites.[/quote]

They keep sending out letters to “the occupier” trying to get him to sign up :rolleyes:

Sounds interesting. Do you share with many people Sledge?

Also, I have heard some horror stories about these cunts. How fast are they to set it up?

Rocko has same setup as sledge i think and internet is very good in his house from what he says. Personally think Sky is well overpriced. Was very keen to get it a few years back in my parents house but don’t get it since moving out as watched very little on it and generally top sporting events are on terresterial. Suppose if you intend watching a lot of EPL its for you but otherwise think it is bad value for money.

Straightforward enough question, straightforward answer required. Do you know anyone getting free Sports etc for a one-off payment to the lad who fitted it?

I have a rake of letters addressed to the previous occupier from NTL downstairs and once the fookers even managed to slip a ‘We called while you were not in card’ under me door. Twats. Might go down and open one of those letters now to see what all the fuss is.

I thought the :rolleyes: answered your question Gola.

It’s fairly common practice to bribe the Cable Guy in exchange for free channels.*

*At least it is in Tour anyway.

I’d actually do without cable TV, rabbits ears for RT is all I need. All the dramas, comedys etc I watch can be watched for free on the internet, then I buy the box set anyway if I enjoy it, what’s the point in paying NTL money to preview these before I buy them??

Any sporting events can be watched in the battle cruiser, a pint a half means an event costs less than €10, don’t say you wouldn’t buy a few cans for midweek football anyway, even if you only have the one.

The only thing I’d miss would be Deadliest Catch and Superships on Discovery.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Sounds interesting. Do you share with many people Sledge?

Also, I have heard some horror stories about these cunts. How fast are they to set it up?[/quote]

I share with 2 others, one of which doesn’t contribute to the broadband as he has his own wireless yoke :guns:

I think most of the horror stories regarding their customer service are less common since upc took them over.

You can’t get red button interactive features, which can be a pain. HD is currently unavailable - another pain.

You don’t like sport though Ben?

Farmer we had a thread on this about a week ago if you do a quick search.

[quote=“Sledgehammer”]I share with 2 others, one of which doesn’t contribute to the broadband as he has his own wireless yoke :guns:

I think most of the horror stories regarding their customer service are less common since upc took them over.

You can’t get red button interactive features, which can be a pain. HD is currently unavailable - another pain.[/quote]

Some HD is available - ESPN, Discovery etc I think. No Sky Sports or Movies in HD yet though.