Calling carryharry

@carryharry !!! Finally in the market for a car change. I was going for an A4 2011 or 2012 but for the money I am looking to spend there is a shit spec/high mileage on them. In the last week, I am leaning towards a VW Passat coupe but all of their mileages are off the charts. Must be all ex-sales reps’ cars. 150,000km on 2 year old cars. I really like the high specs on the Passats though. Advice please. Should I steer clear of newish (2011 or 2012) cars with 100,000+ kms? Any thoughts on the Passat CC? How is Kieran Bergin holding up?

Search function is fucked so couldn’t find related threads. Helpful thoughts or comments are welcome from other posters too.

Clapped out Passat and A4s.

For fucks sake, have you any bit of imagination? Those yokes are expensive because they are the default car of choice for every roaster in the country. They do not represent any sort of value second hand.

What sort of budget have you to spend? What do you need the car for?

Carrying children? Towing? Motorways mostly? Scoury calves?

What are them Opel Insignias like?

AIDS

A good car, not a great car

[QUOTE=“Horsebox, post: 1156123, member: 1537”]@carryharry !!! Finally in the market for a car change. I was going for an A4 2011 or 2012 but for the money I am looking to spend there is a shit spec/high mileage on them. In the last week, I am leaning towards a VW Passat coupe but all of their mileages are off the charts. Must be all ex-sales reps’ cars. 150,000km on 2 year old cars. I really like the high specs on the Passats though. Advice please. Should I steer clear of newish (2011 or 2012) cars with 100,000+ kms? Any thoughts on the Passat CC? How is Kieran Bergin holding up?

Search function is fucked so couldn’t find related threads. Helpful thoughts or comments are welcome from other posters too.[/QUOTE]
PM sent your way.

[QUOTE=“Thumper, post: 1156152, member: 2305”]Clapped out Passat and A4s.

For fucks sake, have you any bit of imagination? Those yokes are expensive because they are the default car of choice for every roaster in the country. They do not represent any sort of value second hand.

What sort of budget have you to spend? What do you need the car for?

Carrying children? Towing? Motorways mostly? Scoury calves?[/QUOTE]
Are they not expensive because they are good reliable cars that hold their resale value? Budget of €20k but that includes trade in for my own car which I think I will get around €5k for. Need the car for driving round Dublin with motorway driving probably once per month although that could increase because of new job.

I’ll take a PM about cars too please, @carryharry.

I’ll do no such thing until I see proof that you’ve passed your test, mate.

My contact will get you a low mileage 2011/2012 car for that budget, easy.

ok guys, i thought i dealt with this before- the ICE is dead

They do hold their resale value - up to 100,000 miles. You are looking at paying 20k to buy a car with that sort of miles up on it. You will never see that 20k again when you look to sell with 150+ miles up.

Reliability? They are only middle of the road. Buy a Honda if that is a key concern.

You could consider something like this http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/skoda/superb/used-2013-131-skoda-superb-ambition-2-kerry-fpa-153514279935001020 if you wanted a fresher car with a more powerful engine and built from largely the same bits and bobs. It is expensive though and looks a bit ropey from the rear.

You could get the ferry to the UK and buy this from a VW main dealer http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201503051463209
Or this if you are happy to go with CarGiant
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201505163506695

all of these will come in around or under 25k.

I would go for an S60 or Mondeo or something like that, well specced and for a lot less cash, particularly in the case of the Mondeo. An A6 is a far superior car to an A4. An A4 is basically about the size of a Jetta. I can’t see the premium in the CC over a normal passat either. 25 k would get you a very recent, well specced passat.

Cars are expensive in Ireland. Even with the price of sterling.

[QUOTE=“Thumper, post: 1156184, member: 2305”]They do hold their resale value - up to 100,000 miles. You are looking at paying 20k to buy a car with that sort of miles up on it. You will never see that 20k again when you look to sell with 150+ miles up.

Reliability? They are only middle of the road. Buy a Honda if that is a key concern.

You could consider something like this http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/skoda/superb/used-2013-131-skoda-superb-ambition-2-kerry-fpa-153514279935001020 if you wanted a fresher car with a more powerful engine and built from largely the same bits and bobs. It is expensive though and looks a bit ropey from the rear.

You could get the ferry to the UK and buy this from a VW main dealer http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201503051463209
Or this if you are happy to go with CarGiant
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201505163506695

all of these will come in around or under 25k.

I would go for an S60 or Mondeo or something like that, well specced and for a lot less cash, particularly in the case of the Mondeo. An A6 is a far superior car to an A4. An A4 is basically about the size of a Jetta. I can’t see the premium in the CC over a normal passat either. 25 k would get you a very recent, well specced passat.

Cars are expensive in Ireland. Even with the price of sterling.[/QUOTE]
Cheers, pal. Going to the UK is not an option as I want to do a trade in. I think the new Mondeo is nice but I don’t like the older ones and I can’t afford an A6 on what I want to spend. I prefer the Passat CC purely because I think they look class.

[QUOTE=“Thumper, post: 1156184, member: 2305”]

Cars are expensive in Ireland. Even with the price of sterling.[/QUOTE]

An S60? A glorified Mondeo, pal. Volvo’s give woeful bother & servicing is mad dear.
Go to England? Sterling is all wrong & add on the price of a ferry home.

I do agree on the Skoda, very nice car at reasonable money.

The 151/152 reg has helped make cars cheaper as Dealers need to shift the older stock. Horsebox will get a really good bang for his buck over here with his budget.

What sort of car have you at the moment? Would it sell privately. Cars sell well privately up to five k or so.

That, in a nutshell, is why they are very expensive second hand.

Find one of those trader types that import cars to order?

I can’t see the value in A4 myself. Too cramped and generally under-specced. I looked into an 11 one yesterday and it had this sticking out of the dash
http://images.mobilefun.co.uk/graphics/300pixelp/parrot-ck3100-advanced-bluetooth-car-kit-p3356-300.jpg

[QUOTE=“carryharry, post: 1156199, member: 1517”]An S60? A glorified Mondeo, pal. Volvo’s give woeful bother & servicing is mad dear.
[/QUOTE]
What exactly is an Audi only a glorified Skoda/VW?

Yeah Volvos aren’t hectic from a reliability point of view, but neither are Audis. Would you recommend an automatic Audi to your mother?

I’d only consider a Volvo/Mondeo at <15k. And even then, not really. I only threw in Volvo as he is interested in more stylish cars.

Sterling is all wrong, and still dealers up and down the country are making it work for them.

[QUOTE=“carryharry, post: 1156199, member: 1517”]
I do agree on the Skoda, very nice car at reasonable money.

The 151/152 reg has helped make cars cheaper as Dealers need to shift the older stock. Horsebox will get a really good bang for his buck over here with his budget.[/QUOTE]

Skoda and VW represent pretty decent value for good, fairly reliable cars.

Audis, not so much. Although, from a dealer’s perspective, they are great.

One last thing Horsebox, get something with at least 150 horses under the bonnet.

@Thumper just doesn’t get this.

@Gman[/USER] is the man to recommend cars around here. If I’d have listened to [USER=1517]@carryharry the last time I’d have bought a clocked car from the knackers yard.

Possibly.

[QUOTE=“Thumper, post: 1156202, member: 2305”]What sort of car have you at the moment? Would it sell privately. Cars sell well privately up to five k or so.

That, in a nutshell, is why they are very expensive second hand.

Find one of those trader types that import cars to order?

I can’t see the value in A4 myself. Too cramped and generally under-specced. I looked into an 11 one yesterday and it had this sticking out of the dash
http://images.mobilefun.co.uk/graphics/300pixelp/parrot-ck3100-advanced-bluetooth-car-kit-p3356-300.jpg[/QUOTE]
Currently a VW Golf. Yes it’s the shitty spec on the A4 that has kind of turned me off them. Couldn’t be arsed selling the car privately.