Calling experienced excel users

Agreed.

If Iā€™d generated a new sheet and resorted the data, and then the original data changed on the first sheet.
Iā€™d have to link the data with the first sheet. Iā€™ve done that before and itā€™s a right pain in the hole.

The dark wet day has arrived and success has arrived with it. Thanks!

Just need to transfer it to the main page nowā€¦

1 Like

So I have hundreds of individual excel templates
Standard naming convention on each
I want to extract 30 data points from each template onto a master file

Whats the plan

Iā€™d do this using a programming language. Load them in to pandas in python and scrape what you need out

I dont know how you could do it natively in excel

1 Like

OK thatā€™s not an option. Not a work related issue so on my own

They should have designed the template around the ultimate reporting but of course they fkn didnā€™t

Prob 15000 data points to be collected the effort and potential for fuck ups is monstrous

Do you mean spreadsheet when you say template? Is all the data in one file ?

Im guessing people got sent templates to populate with information. They now have the templates/workbooks returned and they need to extract certain information.

Fairly easy to do with pythonā€¦

How soon does this need to be done fella. If it isnā€™t sensitive information i could throw an executable together for you

As the Kerry farmer said when asked whatā€™s the quickest way to Killarney, ā€œWell, I wouldnā€™t start from hereā€.

Sounds messy, I have done something like this, using the below, but it was only for a handful of spreadsheets. Not sure how it would work for hundreds

Combine data from multiple sheets.

Python is a great bit of kit.

BIC and IBAN type details? Ruh roh.

Correct

You could do it with a Macro I guess, write it to retrieve the data from the files and store as you need it in a summary file. Handy if the files are all in the same format, if theyā€™re not it will be a bit of a nightmare. Something like the below could get you started.

Iā€™ve done this kind of thing with SQL Server before but youā€™d want the data in the files in a table format really which I presume it isnā€™t.

1 Like

VBA or Power Query.

1 Like

I asked a fella at work today he said heā€™d do it for me using macros as long as they were all a standard naming convention, which they are

He reckoned it was a handy enough job and heā€™d run it when he was leaving work some evening and would be done in an hour or so :man_shrugging:

1 Like

You can double check it on the morning with copy and paste.

I made a fucking beautiful spreadsheet today. All sorts of magic things were happening in it. It was a thing of beauty. I took the rest of the day off then.

4 Likes

Recursion is a thing of beauty in the hands of an expert like yourselfā€¦ā€¦

lads if i have 2 columns of data (Column A 1900 entries and Column B 1200 entries) how do I find the 700 ones that are not common to both, if that makes sense?

Two rows of words or what? What do you want to do with the 700 not common ones?

Gives two some made up data that is similar as an example