Calling experienced excel users

You can do this with the solver function - did it for 6 numbers there and it worked fine. Did it for 25 numbers after and it’s still running through a ridiculous number of permutations.

The lads must have been scared shitless the first time the screensaver popped up.

I thought you were brown bread Mr Lenihan?

What happens if there is a random number duplicated etc.

Over and out.

:clap: :clap:

Whats the easiest was to remove - - - from over 1000 different entries

For example i have a load of entries along the following ines

AA-BB-CC
AB-BB-CC
BB-BB-CC

Want them to read
AABBCC
ABBBCC
BBBBCC

Think i might have asked this or something similar before but dont see it in this thread

Tried a find/Replace but to no avail

Find & Replace Option?

See my edit above.

Although I tried it again and it worked

Thanks Runt :clap:

Would find replace remove the dash?

If not you could use the Text to Columns feature.
It would move the AA BB CC to three columns using the dash as a delimiter.
Then you could concatonate them into one column.

If it wasn’t for Kevs medical/sports/training/fitness/flier distribution advice and my IT advice and witty one-liners this place would have nothing going for it.

Ah fuck it any way,

Just after realising that I need to sort the data in a quaire way. More advice is needed.

so we say my data is

1001c011
1001c012
1001c013
1002c011
1002c012
1002c013
1003c011
1003c012
1003c013

and so on and so forth how could I go about splitting it up into a seqeunce where is only displays or seperates the numbers where the fourth digit is either odd or even

I would insert a column beside that list and put =IF((MID(A1,4,1))/2=INT(MID(A1,4,1)/2),“even”,“odd”) beside the first one and copy down. Then filter the two columns together to just find odd numbers in the second column.

disregard rocko, the request is superflous

It’s too late to disregard - I’m emotionally involved now.

I would tell your employers that the information they’re keeping on spreadsheets would be better on a database. If you have a staff suggestion scheme fire it in there and enjoy winning a prize.

DBA’s are not to be trusted.

Having a problem with excel today.Have numerous columns with rows of numbers. I have a formula at the end of each summing up the totals for each formula. the problem occurs when I move one item in column A to column B. the totals dont change or the formula isn’t picking it up? why might this be happening. Also when I drag the total formula to another column it has the total for the previous column in it.I’m fit to throw the computer out the window at this stage.

Go to Tools > Options > Calculation and check calculation is set to Automatic. Or press F9 to see if that’s updating the formulas.

anyone know much about vlookup?

Not much to know really, fairly straightforward.

Ya loads of people do.

Be specific chewy and we’ll see what we can do