Calling experienced excel users

Some people on here should be getting a % of chewys salary at this stage :lol:

Twould have been no good to me anyway.

The data I had was inconclusive and I figured out I wasn’t going to be able to validate it anyway. Vlookup or no Vlookup

I reckon Chewy is in transition year and is struggling with the data from a charity cake sale

1 Like

Gents, I have compressed a file on Excel using the Control-Q method, but now I need to undo it. How so? There’s a years data on this so can’t afford to mess around with it.

Try ALT and F4

That just closes the screen. It looks like someone compressed it which deleted columns and it got saved. Now I can’t retrieve them.

:lol: TRE distancing himself from this already.
I don’t know what happened boss. It was like this when I got here

Fuckin right, I was nearly ready to bolt for the airport earlier.
Think I’ve it sorted. Some IT geek (not Runt) is digging out a back up for me.

:clap:

The IT Crowd are keeping all you dim-wits in your jobs, and you dim wits are keeping us in our jobs.

:clap:

Would you care to add any further suggestions as to how this can be recovered? They’re not as efficient over here as you’d be.

Most IT people deliberately take their time when recovering files from Backups to teach people a lesson.
Depending on the organisation size and the method of backup I expect you to be waiting at least 2/3 hours.

Gotta love the IT lads, legends one and all. Im off to clear my good name now.

=IF(CONCATENATE(A1,“Bollox”)=“Up ya Bollox”,“Up ya Bollox”,":(")

can’t rememeber the way to do this.

I have a spreadsheet of around 28,000 lines of data, made up of both words and number codes in the one cell.

I just want to show the numbers, what is the easiest best way to do this

For example, how would I go about removing the X’s from 28000 lines to just leave me with the number at the end:

XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXXXX XXXXX 0000080975

There is not a hope in fuck I am goung through and deleting them individually

Is there always spaces in the cell like you have above?

split the cell?

click on the data tab at the top.

then click ‘text to columns’

if there is a space in your numbers/text, then click ‘delimited’.

it should split your cells into 3 different ones, leaving your numbers all alone at the end

Yes. It is an error message in a program i am fixing. i need to delete the “things” the numbers represent from the system but need to lose all the shit before them before I can set up a marco of some sorts to import in

I’m using excel 2010 so it may not be exactly the same but if you go to:

Data > Text to Columns

Then use the space as your delimiter.

Then delete the uneeded columns

Ye were prettty close, the delimter didn’t work but when I did it with the “fixed width” it worked like a charm, even removed the superflous zeros at the beginning of my numbers :clap:

thanks folks

Or if it’s the same amount of users you can use =right(A1,X) where X is the number of digits you want to retain and put that in the column beside and drag it down.