Calling experienced excel users

Heavy data processing can be an issue. Haven’t a clue how it works for what you’d need.

Excel will work the same on the Apple Mac as it will on a PC. Its the same application just a version for the Mac.

It will for standard basic functions Taz. It can’t handle the heavy shit. Will regularly crash with any kind of heavy use.

That would be more down to the processor in the Mac computer rather than the application itself, I would suspect.

I am creating a macro in excel and need some advice.

In a column, there is a series of text. Most of it is the same one word text for about 10 to 15 rows, then another series the same and so on. What I need to do is insert a blank row at the end of each different text. So for example I would then end up with blocks of text that are the same, but split up when the text changes. CTRL and down doesnt work as that just goes to the end of the text. Clicking on it wont work, as different sheets will have different amounts of text blocks, some will be on 10 rows, some 15 etc.

[QUOTE=“Gman, post: 1067752, member: 112”]I am creating a macro in excel and need some advice.

In a column, there is a series of text. Most of it is the same one word text for about 10 to 15 rows, then another series the same and so on. What I need to do is insert a blank row at the end of each different text. So for example I would then end up with blocks of text that are the same, but split up when the text changes. CTRL and down doesnt work as that just goes to the end of the text. Clicking on it wont work, as different sheets will have different amounts of text blocks, some will be on 10 rows, some 15 etc.[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

thanks mate, I’ll give that a try.

Has @Mac s bullying of you meant you are trying to find someone else to follow around? Dont take his bullying to heart, he is just letting off steam. I dont mind you quoting all my posts, if its what you need to get over Macs horrible treatment of you, I hope it’ll make you feel better.

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread for the first time!!

[QUOTE=“Gman, post: 1067752, member: 112”]I am creating a macro in excel and need some advice.

In a column, there is a series of text. Most of it is the same one word text for about 10 to 15 rows, then another series the same and so on. What I need to do is insert a blank row at the end of each different text. So for example I would then end up with blocks of text that are the same, but split up when the text changes. CTRL and down doesnt work as that just goes to the end of the text. Clicking on it wont work, as different sheets will have different amounts of text blocks, some will be on 10 rows, some 15 etc.[/QUOTE]
Does it all need to be a macro? Can you use a helper column?

If your text is in column 1 then you can use this macro to put the sequence # in column B:

Range(“B1”).Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = “=COUNTIF(R1C[-1]:RC[-1],RC[-1])”
Range(“B1”).Select
Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range(“B:B”)
End Sub

which is just inserting this formula: =COUNTIF(A$1:A1,A1)

Then look for 1 in column B and insert a row above each instance.

All joined up you could use the following:

[CODE]Sub TFK()

’ Macro1 Macro

’ Set parameters
Dim sh As Worksheet, Lastrow As Long, rng As Range, i As Long
Set sh = Sheets(1)
Lastrow& = Range(“A:C”).Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
Set rng = sh.Range(“A1:C” & Lastrow)

’ Put Countif in Column B to find # in sequence
Range(“B1”).Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = “=COUNTIF(R1C[-1]:RC[-1],RC[-1])”
Range(“B1”).AutoFill Destination:=Range(“B1:B” & Lastrow)

’ Add a row where there’s a 1 in Column B
For i = Lastrow To 2 Step -1
With sh
If .Cells(i, 2).Value Like “1” Then
.Cells(i, 2).Resize(1, 1).EntireRow.Insert
End If
End With
Next

End Sub[/CODE]

Cheers rocko, will give that a look tomorrow.

@Rocko[/USER] can you rename this thread how TFK saved [USER=1137]@The Big Cheese from the dole

Disgusting, but sadly typical, lack of appreciation from @Gman on this thread.

well fuck you too. do you only try help people if they openly acknowledge you? is helping them not enough for you? By the by, it didnt work, but thanks again you needy fucker.

Of course it works you imbecile. I’ve tested it and it works perfectly, assuming your text is in column A.

yeah, its not. and it would take too much individual manipulation on each spreadsheet to configure it to sort that calculation. I want to take external data, copy it into excel, hit the macro button, and the whole sheet reorganises itself into what I need it to do. your contribution has been noted, appreciated and thanked. unfortunately it did not work for me.

That macro will do exactly what you’ve said once you can say which column you want to look for the pattern in. You can of course get it to delete the helper column too. If you have

ABCD
ABCD
ABCD
ABCD
ABCD
ABCD
ABCE
ABCE
ABCF
ABCF
ABCF
ABCF
ABCF
ABCG

and you want it to become:

ABCD
ABCD
ABCD
ABCD
ABCD
ABCD

ABCE
ABCE

ABCF
ABCF
ABCF
ABCF
ABCF

ABCG

then that code will do what you need.

Any free software out there for converting large PDF documents into excel?

None that will do a good job as far as I know. You need the PDF to be of high quality and in no way skewed too.

Is the pdf a scan or directly created from excel in the first place?

Well it came off an software package that would have given the option to save in excel/PDF but it was created in PDF unfortunately.