Calling Kev

@caoimhaoin

views?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/pain-in-the-a-parents-not-helping-kids-damien-duff-36241297.html

half six in the morning training sessions

“I just got it from Melbourne, they are early risers over there.”

I’ve not had a lie in past 6am since last Christmas.

a for fuck sake, I have half a days work done at half six in the morning, get up out of it to fuck

3 Likes

Pretend jobs don’t count

11 Likes

Ok lets deal with it bit by bit.

Arsehole parents - no doubt. Creeping more into GAA as well now the more “middle class” it has got.

Bad habits - not from lack of practice, from shot drill and cone based coaching. Kids don’t form the good street habits anymore. Thats a sicietal thing.

Treating kids like adults - everything that is wrong with recent players becoming parents, coaching badges and coaching in general. Complete lack of education

They probably hate me - Maybe not. But doing it like you did it yourself is Coaching mistake 1.01 (however to be fair most of us do this). He will learn but kids react differently these days. Plus they are not as good as you damien

Early risers in Melbourne - this isn’t fucking Melbourne. Daylight is completely different, their whole culture is adjusted because of that. You are fucking around with cicardian rhythmns. Lack of education.

" I was at PSV a couple of weeks ago and their U-15s are doing six sessions a week and our clubs here do two or three, so I don’t know how you expect to compete with them at a senior level when you’re thousands of hours behind." - Missing the point Damien. Again its not PSV. And what makes their multiple hours better? Is it quality? The dutch system has been left behind and in modern game is flawed. Yet Ireland seem to want to copy it verbatim with out of date coaches. More is not always better.
6 sessions a week of the same sport at 15 is a receipe for injury disaster.

“He’d say to me ‘Am I mad?’ or are these kids brutal compared to when I was playing at U-15 or U-16?’,” recalled Kerr. "I said you’re right, they are brutal compared to when you were playing when kids did nothing else but play ball all day. - Good one lads, tell the world that the kids you want to get up at 6.30 am are useless and not as good as you were.

Absolute jokeshop. And a perfect illustration of how fucked Irish Soccer is.

1 Like

Yeah but you’re living the dream, fella! And sure occasionally you get to drink a beer during work so you stay longer…

I think modern parents, apart from maybe @Fran and @Gman, are really bad people who are all raising little tubby butterball snowflakes and the human race has maybe 2 generations left in them.

4 Likes

@backinatracksuit will be seething…

Kev - without looking it up… over the last 10 years what would you expect the % of players who have played Champions League football from the quarter finals stages onwards were playing first team football at the age of 17?

Thats one of about 100 reasons 6.30 am sessions wouldnt work. The logistics of it for a working parent woth more than one kid …

1 Like

62%

swimming does it
progressive football clubs do it

it works

Ask Aaron Bolger

1 Like

Oh i would imagine minimal enough.

.5%?

1 Like

If the parents know the child is talented enough to make it happen they’ll find a way.

1 Like

There’s your problem, right there.

2 Likes

Nail on head.

Nobody fucking knows.

Nobody

Training is the same early-morning strain on the soul that it is for every other serious teenage swimmer in the world, a 35-mile-a-week slog that tests his mind as much as his body.

1 Like

Survivorship bias

duff going by that seems like an awful dinosaur

but you cant blame him for oirish soccer being so shit, as he has been living in england for 20 years

i was watching the oirish soccer team against wales there last week and lord jaysus they have very very low skill levels, the most basic of soccer skills are beyond them. kicking the ball on the ground to a team mate 5 yards away is beyond them. it looked to me like they have spent tto much time practicising kicking it long distances and they are quite good at that.
so maybe duff could get them practicing kicking it 5 yards to a team mate and see where that goes for him

1 Like

Ah yea, and I’m sure Agassi would recommend his fathers actions as well. Maybe that could be rolled out on a nationwide scale.

1 Like