Career Change

How can you engineer a redundancy pot of gold if your employer doesn’t go bust?

Do you get decent share options ?

The other thing about work is that there’s a goodwill reservoir you need to replenish. Once it’s empty if you fuck up you are fucked.

I find a lot of younger staff don’t have hard work in them and the ones who do stand out a mile and their careers are on fast forward

2 Likes

It’s more about the security of having that behind you as you move into later years.

If you moved, a crash came the following year, you could be on your ear with nothing.

3 Likes

The slaves to The Man are all out tonight.

4 Likes

Not just share options but proper equity, albeit vesting over multiple years. Golden handcuffs job.

The goodwill thing is a fair point. I could move to a completely new job in same company but my history stands to me. Moving somewhere new and I’m nothing but a number. Fair play to lads who bounce around and move quicker. I couldn’t hack the thought of it.

3 Likes

Ok Bodie

Tis easier take a wage from The Man and enjoy life. You know that only too well yourself!

I’m quite zen these days

That’s the surfing and bank robbing.

Right, and that’s a drip of water filling a bucket. As time goes on, there’s complete certainty.

Last year I had someone reach out to me. I’m not even sure how serious or not they were but when I started doing numbers in my mind, the number I’d need to ask for was so laughably unrealistic it somewhat crystallised in my mind how much better off I am with the devil I know.

1 Like

That’s interesting.

What are the redundancy rules? 4 weeks wages for each year you’ve worked?

Statutory is 2 weeks for each year I think but most places end up paying 4-6 weeks from my experience

1 Like

You used to be a ballsy guy. Where did it all go wrong?

Often up to a max of two years though.

Statutory is 2 weeks for every year worked and one week extra ,think you need 2 years service to qualify for redundancy … banks and the like generally give 3 weeks + statutory .

1 Like

Statutory is 2 weeks per year + one week. But is capped at €600 per week.
So if you’ve been in the same place for 10 years and earn more than €600 gross per week you’ll get €12600 statutory if you’re made redundant.

If you were to get e.g. 5 weeks on top of that and had been in a company 10 years, the amount you’d get is (10*5) = 50 weeks. So combined you’d get more than a year in the hand to cordially depart after 10 years.

It’s a multiplier effect between length of service and how much you earn. If you can get them both to increase the pot of gold builds steadily.

I left a job in 2013 and had 3 months gardening leave. It’s lovely to leave and have a clean slate but as you get older you get too arsed to go and make new relationships.

I’d love to fuck off in a few years and do a bit of corporate training and a bit of writing.

I’m lucky enough now not to do the drudge but the politics are draining.

Edit - we may get taken over at some point and I’d do well but the loss of autonomy would be hard.

Hardest working guy I know (and the maddest) has made couple of hundred million from IPOs. He still works and works. He’d breeze into Dublin on a private jet and you’d be on the sauce with him all weekend. He once flew his family to New York so he could
go drinking with me and he’d do museums in day with them. Some lads are wired differently.

The trapdoor analogy I used elsewhere should
Frame all work conversations

8 Likes
2 Likes

The World is your oyster but your future’s a clam.

1 Like

Whats a ‘career’?