Career Change

Yeah public displays of affection not really welcome here really for couples (regardless of sexual orientation). We are cohabiting with no issues.

1 Like

That’s good to hear my oul epal. :green_heart:

1 Like

What are fellas seeing in their own lines of work as regards staffing? In my own we are very short and can’t get enough in the door. I argued this with my own boss that we lost 2 experienced people in the space of a month and not replaced. Before that we were at least short 2. Is it an employees market atm? Pay and benefits are very good but I’ve a mortgage to apply for in the next few years and islands are getting more expensive.

It’s an employee market. Good people are being contacted every day. Retention and attraction of talent is major problem I would say for most businesses.

1 Like

Some of the Tech companies are offering ridiculous sign on bonuses at the moment for mid to lower ranking staff. As much flexibility as they want. Work from wherever they want. Surely bubbles will burst in the near future but definitely an employees market.

2 Likes

Buy the island in advance and work the house around it.

1 Like

I’ve been pawning them off but they seem to be more desperate. I’m horsing out stupid requests and getting compromises. In all seriousness with nothing tieing me down I’m seriously considering going to the ME or something as it’s becoming impossible to be young and live in ireland.

The island will come

I’ll throw it out on the site. Belfast sink on the island or not?

The markets are red hot everywhere.

1 Like

That’s an outstanding post mate. You’ve only one life and you have realised that. I was only in Asia for a month travelling, loved it but I couldn’t hack the lack of certainty and health care you mention long term. You’re braver than me and most.

5 Likes

Mate jumped ship to Amazon Web Services last week. Current employer couldn’t match what they were offering and there’s a decent signing on bonus and share scheme too. He said it’s across the board.

1 Like

It’s dog eat dog out there. I’ve lost 2 heavy enough hitters in the past 6 months.

I was very tempted to jump myself when I saw their deals… but I’m in the public sector playing the long game so it’s not a time for panic.

Guys in their mid 30s pulling 100k packages (inc bonus and benefits) working for home and a 40 hour week. :money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face:

3 Likes

The lads that don’t have to feed calves in their lunch hour don’t know they’re born.

1 Like

Those company hours lost to the cows have to made up too pal.

A hell of a week.

9 Likes

And lads bitch and moan about teachers.

8 Likes

£400 a day to drive a petrol tanker here in the capital, I’m going all in

18 Likes

True…

That’s said, when the market blows up and the tide goes out… Alot of these guys will be in a precarious position and the guys that are left will quickly have the full the gap and end up on 60 hour weeks. I’ve seen it before.

2 Likes

No bother to you. Audio books and podcasts galore. You’d want to be savaged disciplined with the diet though.

There’s armed gangs and civilians following petrol tankers here, its serious shit

4 Likes

Definitely an employee market out there. I’m getting a couple of emails a week from recruiters most weeks. Mate of mine got 4 job offers in a week. He was actively looking and interviewed for 4 jobs and got offers from all 4.

1 Like