Career Change

He must have had some puc out as a twelve year old.

My pal is a real big deal, a heavy hitter, so he’s got an exceedingly long notice period. He could conceivably interview and secure a job elsewhere without prospective employers knowing he’s given his notice. Alternatively he can always scab off his life partner for a while if he needs to and he can skulk back to his parents’ place if she gives him his marching orders for being a waster. He’s done a bit of research and emailed a few apparently well regarded recruiters but they’ve either ignored the email or replied with a platitudinous response. This surprised him because he’s an incredible asset.

5 Likes

I would imagine Big 4 Trained, experienced, finance professionals would be in hot demand. I’m surprised recruiters aren’t falling over themselves with offers for you. If you moved to Limerick I’d have you 3 interviews by tomorrow afternoon. The fact you don’t know what you want to do probably doesn’t enthuse recruiters though.

1 Like

Tell your pal to come to Galway, mate.

2 Likes

thats a different story. Id imagine your pal will get a job offer quick smart. Market is buoyant in Dublin. Recruiters wont do anything unless they have a specific job in mind for you Id say they are a pain in the hole. If I was in your pals shoes Id be going back to his contacts at his big 4 firm looking for contacts/introductions.

it is a bad time of year though so wouldnt be too concerned with no bites from recruiters at this stage

1 Like

I’m surprised at the lack of bites from recruiters because this guy’s record is ultra impressive:

• Big 4 auditor (could easily have spotted those deposits going from Anglo into and back out of Irish Life with a little more luck and attention to detail);

• Experience working in Anglo Irish Bank after that alongside some top banking executives;

• Nearly 10 years’ corporate banking experience.

He came into corporate banking in 2007 when the Irish banks were on their knees. He’s got nothing left to achieve in this sphere.

1 Like

the obvious route here for your pal is into one of the US funds.

Or political adviser to Mick Wallace.

3 Likes

Has your mate had a change of heart since the beginning of the thread. What happened to the Sports/journalism dream?

Fuck off, my cousin has that job.

It would take too much time and effort, pal. Better to exist doing something he borders on despising for the next 25 years.

2 Likes

What’s the point then mate. Is it not out of the frying pan and into the fire, what does he want or expect that he didn’t have in the current job.

There’s a big job after coming up in RTE current affairs, how good of a familiarity would your pal have with the movers and shakers in Montrose? A lot of fellas in there are already ill qualified for the job they’re doing.

How about a combined role as CFO & Digital Marketing Director at @Juhniallio company

What does he do other than allude to driving his van around the country to go drinking during the day in different locations? If work was in bed then @Juhniallio would sleep on the floor. Actually he seems like he’d cultivate the ideal working environment so it could be the ideal role.

4 Likes

You know the drill. Make informal contact through a mutual acquaintance and we’ll take it from there. I’m not sure if the package will meet your expectations but I imagine this will grow exponentially and you’re getting in on the ground floor. Also, there’s a third seat in the Berlin go so that’s sorted.

1 Like

Better the devil you know mate.all jobs are shit especially in accountancy. Poor horsebox is the prime example of why not to switch jobs

2 Likes

When did people get the notion that they had to enjoy their job?

Unless you are possessed of uncommon, unfullfilled talent in some other field (like many here, it must be said), then there is a lot to be said for sitting in an office where the most stressful decision you’ll ever have to make is whether to roll over and turn up the radiator or not.

The fella that wrote this is considered the finest hurling journalist of the past half century.

In fact, in Kilkenny where they very notably think long and hard about the game of hurling sometimes to the extent of outsmarting themselves … In Cork we think long and hard, too, except that much of what we think is complacency or cliche; in Tipp it is self-delusion; in Clare paranoia; in Wexford nostalgia; and in Limerick grudgery.

I think he worked in a train station.

1 Like

Cashman??

:joy:this is actually depressingly true @Bandage, the grass isn’t always greener. :tired_face:

1 Like