Career Change

They are poison

Not sure why bandage wants to move sideways rather than forward. It will be a very similar environment.

There are few enough people that actually charge for getting in the way of stuff being done.
Recruiters & estate agents are two, deal with as little of both as you can.

Any company that hires more than 4/5 people a year should have a full time recruiter. Paying an agent 20% maybe of first years salary to outsource a piss easy task. Absolute joke. It’s just a shield for HR

What’s worse is people using them to find them a job. In this day and age it makes no sense. Just go to the job sites yourself like. I don’t get it at all.

Still a lot of jobs not advertised especially at upper end so the fkrs are a necessary evil at times

I was saying to my good pal @Cesc4 recently that it’s only at times like this my other good pal (also from Wexford) regrets never really bothering with all this networking and shite talk over the years. He didn’t really bother staying in contact with past work/university colleagues and only has around 7 close friends. He should really send his CV to the likes of @Rocko and @Appendage as he’s pals with them too.

He might be advised to start following @Julio_Geordio 's advice but it still appears that many firms use recruiters to screen applications even though it’s a waste of money. Recruiters seem to be horrible bastards for the most part alright.

2 Likes

You seem like a top quality businessman with a penchant for solid advice, pal. Taking the fact that my pal doesn’t have the option of sending his CV to pals/acquaintances in various companies as he’s got no pals/acquaintances and generally despises people, is it worthwhile as Geordio suggests to start applying directly for jobs on LinkedIn etc? Some of these jobs appear to be up there permanently and it seems like firms are using it as some kind of marketing tool just to have their brand listed.

it is perfectly acceptable etiquette to make contact with people you might not know all that well/at all via linkedin and tell them you would be interested in working in their company, can you recomend anyone I might speak to. They will have clear sight of your background and experience from your profile and if there is anything going should be happy to put you in touch with someone.

You should ask your pal did his mother ever say to him when he was young " nobody is going to call to the door and give you a job you lazy fucker"

Has your pal done anything at all about this since you first posted on his behalf? As it happens its a shit time of year to be looking anyways so he is at no loss.

4 Likes

Plus a lot of the bigger companies give a referral fee to staff who introduce someone that they hire.

1 Like

What @gilgamboa said. Do a bit of research on the company and find out who the top hitters and HR people are and make contact directly and ask if they have future plans in the field you are interested in, would they consider you. Make sure it is done professionally and not like a Nigerian lotto winning mail.

1 Like

Well, he quit his current / most recent job so that’s some progress anyway.

1 Like

really? as in quit soon to be unemployed?

Thats probably the last bit of advice anyone would have given your pal. Best of luck to him with it anyways.

tell him to make sure he has a very strong story to tell prospective employers about why he walked away from his current role. A very good story. Didnt like it that much/too much pressure etc probably wont cut the mustard.

I hope your pal hasn’t any other unexplained gaps in his CV. Like taking a year off in the height of the boom just so he could sit around the house for the day watching Home & Away.

10 Likes

Has @Cesc4 any interest in Machinery?

My pal would have been due a testimonial next June.

Everything and anything can be explained away, pal.

indeed. It will be the primary focus of the next interview. And assume, that for every job you apply for they will check with your current employer (informally) as to what the story is around your leaving also. Linkedin also facilitates that far too easily.

I would suggest, that if your pal is working in financial services, a situation where one leaves employment for no apparent reason would stick up a red flag around fitness and probity issues immediately.

im also in the process of seeking alternative employment. it isnt much fun.

Is your mate an IC Hurling GK by any chance? :eek:

6 Likes

Really? What other things might they check out informally? Might they ask if that was the odd ball who let loose on Shane Lowry on twitter? Or was that yer man who’s a bit Walter nitty, sure didn’t he tell everyone in the last place he rode a lass in the safe?