Career Change

Fuckin townies. Useless bastards.

6 Likes

If there was work in the bed they’d lie on the floor

4 Likes

Great post. I’d be farming full time if i got half a chance and I’d take the lifestyle hit too to be honest but i wouldn’t put the family through it. You’d be financially miserable and things like family holidays and music lesson’s etc wouldn’t happen.

That’s said I’m constantly thinking of ways to supplement farm income on the side as i continue to go through the mundaness of the 9-5. Nothing solid in the pipeline yet but I’ll get there yet and when i do the ‘career’ will get fucked to the side rapid.

2 Likes

Jesus, that the worst fucking job ever dreamt up. I fucking hate it. Covered in tyre juice by the end.

We’d a lot of help in getting the bulk of them covered, my body is still stiff and sore all over though.
The bit that I don’t like is going back days later to tighten up and tidy up the edges.

The big worry I have here is that there isn’t a particular thing you’d like to do, just that you’d like to do something else. As such, I think your problem is less of a career problem and more of a life one. You’re just a bit bored.
It’s not too long ago that you loved being a high flying international business man doing deals. Your job also affords you the time to read every post on tfk.
As someone who works doing something I love I’d say defo do it if it’s something you really really want to do and would regret not doing but that’s not the case. Take the rest of the lads here’s advice and start doing it on the side if you do really want to try something new. If marketing is your dream, then feel free to get in touch, I need a bit of help on that front at the moment.
Finally, please release ‘you’ with ‘your friend’ in the above text.

Used to do this too, but it’s a waste of time. Stopped doing it about five years ago and it’s made no difference. Once air cant get in it’s fine, to fuck with a few creases. Farming is rammed with jobs that don’t need doing.

1 Like

I’m fully convinced it’s a waste of time too, but what would the neighbors and visitors think when they see plastic flapping all over the place.

1 Like

Kev will explain how to overcome that shame. Should would it be flapping when the sides are covered with tyres too, or are the tyre just on the bottom?

Fuck what the neighbours think, if it’s not that they’ll find something else to say about you.

@Bandage, your friend sound like he’s bored, tell to get his life partner up the duff and he’ll soon have plenty to fill his time with

13 Likes

But that’s exactly my point. He doesn’t seem to be considering it because it’s what he really wants to do, more so the other work is becoming tedious.

Not sure where you got a fear of trying something out of that. I left a solid well paying job in construction to go out on my own. You’re doing your own thing too. But everyone is different. Someone who isn’t sure of exactly what they really want to do would be silly to jack it all in because they were having a partial mid life crisis over the boring work.

Media stuff is a job that can easily be done in tandem with a 9-5 job hence why consideration should be given to do a few bits on the side to see first is it really what the future would be.

Wrong time of the year to look for a career change. The MA in journalism courses generally close for entries at the end of April.

Crystal Meth

2 Likes

@Bandage, is this the same friend who took a year off work during the boom just so he could lay about the house?

1 Like

@Bandage , if your friend is a Chartered Accountant he will be fine. His professionalism and integrity will set him up for success no matter what he does.

1 Like

Was not for you Gman. It was a general point. Of course your choices were brave. I think we are similar in that regard tha we would rather blame ourselves for failures than have them determined by “the man”. Along with the fact that you did it after the kids and wife and mortgage shows real balls and also hreat support from the missus, as that part is critical.its aomething i see with clients all the time, they are actually trying to sort their health. But they lack peer or family or oartner support and it either makes it twice as hard or kills it stone dead. We don’t do any of these things on our own really.

Misread your post maybe, essentially we agree. However i would still encourage the change even if you are not 100% sure about what you want. It may reveal itself and you will learn alot.

Yeah I’d say we agree to a point. In this case tho someone who is bored of their work or going thru a rut I wouldn’t think would be best placed quiting all the work to get to their stage of work to do something that they don’t know what they want. I think if you are to make a change, you need to be sure it is what you actually want, not make the change out of boredom.

Thats the key, is it boredom or they just have reached what they can where they are. I think we would have to know that part. The context of the situation is not that clear.

I think your advice on part time first is a perfectly good approach, but only for a while, there is a stage where you have to shit or get off the pot. And it is often very hard to do certain jobs properly without complete investment.

Was chatting to my pal, earlier. It’s not boredom with him. He tells me he’s afraid of sleepwalking into a scenario where he’s in the office most nights until 10 or 11 and automatically waking up at 5am to check work emails on his phone and that sort of thing. His working hours have been ramping up more and more and he can see colleagues at his level or a bit above who either seem to love this routine or pretend that they do. He may even have pretended to love making deals himself.

As I said, he’s not madly passionate about the work, he’s not wildly ambitious and he can do without the stress too. Call him a lazy cunt but he’d gladly settle for a lower salary (all relative) for regular enough hours where he can focus on one or two tasks at once rather than juggling loads of things. Actually it might just be a case of moving jobs to get a culture change / change of scenery than having a complete career change. But there’s also the nagging feeling that this banking/finance scene is grinding him down and he should change now before it’s too late.

2 Likes