Career Change

“If you want to take the island, burn your fucking boats and you will take the island, people who are willing to die to succeed tend to succeed. Most of us give ourselves outs, that’s why we don’t have what we want” -Tony Robbins

1 Like

Everything grinds you down, some days worse than others. I go to work only to pay the bills. I’d love to work two days a week, but work six often enough. Twelve hours out of the house. My ten year old lad gets the public bus to school and home, and lets himself in and gets a snack and watches telly or whatever til his ma gets home at six or so.
I never set out for it to be like this, nor did she, it just sort of happened. But you keep calm and carry on, and other days it’s grand. It strikes me you an make your job interesting. I would be wary of very long days indefinitely, however. They really do start to wear you down.
If it’s 9-5 and an easyish life you are looking for in banking, with ok money, compliance is where is at.

3 Likes

#Leaveitintickingoveridle

I don’t think there can be any better counselling than this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wbVlGESh9Mc

1 Like

Two words… Public sector

What motivated your pal get into that career in the first place

That’s hell on earth. I know where you work and I empathize with you. Get the fuck out of there. It’s only heading one way as things continue to pick up. Just remember every person I that office after 5 is just saving your employer from hiring someone else. You look around and add up all the extra hours you and your team do and see how many FTE required to fill that gap.

The best boss I ever had walked out the door every day at 5 pm. His advice constantly to us was, gents if ye can’t get it done in working hours you are doing it wrong. Find a way to do it better. Wise words indeed.

Won’t pick up the same money anywhere though that you will in banking. But it’s soulless and you are no more than a service provider to those you deal with. You have a good qualification and plenty experience.

Don’t leave til you have a plan though

2 Likes

That is great advise, not always possible though.

Did you ever work for Brimmer?

3 Likes

Not always. But as an overriding principle it should be.

People waste a huge amount of time in the office. Pissing around on the Internet or in their phones. If I think I have a long days work to do I always try to get to the office early and leave at 5 still. People working at their desks til 9 have spent 4 hours doing something they could probably do in 2 early in the morning when sharp.

There is a very good book called “the rules of work” which I enjoyed. Lots of short messages. But tend to mentally refer to it almost every day. Bit American but I think everyone would learn something from it

I have been working for close on 20 years now and I genuinely have not once dreaded going in. But it’s a mental thing. Stress is taking someone else’s pressure onto your shoulders be it targets or something else. It’s only work. What is the worst that can happen? Go in, do your job, try to be positive and interact with your colleagues and then go home and enjoy your life. If you think you can’t do that where you are move somewhere else if you are in a position to do so. Don’t let your job own you if you act like a doormat you will be a doormat

8 Likes

That’s a real Big 4 line. Find a better way to do it and leave on time.

The better way is to delegate it down to some other poor fucko. At least that was the partners’ intent as the charge out rates are lower.

1 Like

Never worked in big 4. Always a way to do it better though. No matter what you do!

Of course there is but that’s the Big 4 mentality a friend of mine came across.

1 Like

:eek:

It’s my friend who’s wrestling with these thoughts, pal.

If your friend wants something in life tell him go for it… you get one life and you should do what makes you happy and you are passionate about…dont be listening to the drones, they are dead inside.

2 Likes

He should certainly do it when he has no ties, much harder to make those type of decisions when you have dependants and mouths to feed.

That’s half the problem, he doesn’t actually know what he wants

2 Likes

I think that’s why he feels a bit uneasy and trapped, mate. He doesn’t know what he wants to do - just that it’s not what he’s doing now.

https://youtu.be/4lmW2tZP2kU

what does he want to do, further education? travel? more meaningful work than bean counting (no offence)? Take a break, sure he has a qualification and can go back to it if he realises after all that’s what suits him. now or never.

You need something else in your life. Here’s your options.
1 - Get your monaghan chick up the stick. You won’t have time to take a shit and you’ll be dying for the odd work trip. You will have to put up with a child that has a mix of a wexford monaghan accent. I can only imagine the horror. ‘Cheers for the genetics and the big forehead there dad, hay.’
2- Get another extra - curricular interest. Someone suggested charity but let’s face it, you’re not great with people so your best bet might be to hook up with hbv and spend an evening with the ladies of the lobby. They’d teach you things that are unreal, Unbelievable. At least if you turned into a proper deviant you would nt be long filling the mind space with danger filth.
3- Look out for cushy cushy corporate numbers. Apply for jobs like head of the IOC and shit like that. Or Fifa. They have to be hiring these days and would absolutely love an accountant type with dubious morals.

16 Likes