Career Change

A mate of mine was doing a bit of sports reporting on the side but working in the bank in a decent enough job in IT. About 6 months ago he resigned from the bank to go sports reporting full time and he’s flying it. He’s getting to travel all over the world and do a job he thoroughly enjoys so it can work out for the right person, but all the stars really do have to align for it to work

2 Likes

Has your mate good interpersonal skills? Or would he get nervous if he even met people he knows really well unexpectedly in a public place? Maybe say, of an afternoon outside the Bord Gais theatre?

4 Likes

Thats interesting i know a lad who has been trying for years to break into it but the best he can do is get freelance reports bought. what kind of outfit is he with now, website or publication? how did he get the start with them do you know?

@Bandage

Tell yourself and your friend to man up to fuck.

@Bandage

Your mate should move to Galway, I’m killing it here.

There’s also a vacuum in the dissident republican movement in Dublin if your mate fancied it.

7 Likes

He got the start by covering minority sports like athletics and women’s soccer and submitting the reports freelance. He’s doing radio, website and a bit of print now.

1 Like

He has great interpersonal skills. He continually rips the piss out of Shane Lowry in person as well

1 Like

If his mate that some experience of playing sport at a high level he might have more credibility as a journo. If he scored all the points for his team in a County final for example.

7 Likes

Coming from a finance background, having poor interpersonal skills and ripping the piss out of golfers is no barrier to success in this country. There was once a terribly gruff chap with a finance background who did impressions of Philip Walton in his spare time, and he got to be Taoiseach.

Apologies. My mistake. Will you tell your friend I know where he works and I empathise with him

Sounds like you are mixing up your pigeon holes kid, looks to me like it’s conor cusack or God forbid bressies telephone number you are looking for.

@Bandage if you’re not working towards your own dream, you’re working for someone else’s .

1 Like

I mentioned Bressie seminar attendance as a possible solution earlier in the thread, mate. Maybe my pal could delve into this area, develop some kind of talk/workshop/lecture programme himself and monetise it.

My pal is updating his CV at present. Anyone have recent positive experience with recruiters in the banking / financial services sector and care to offer a recommendation? He’d consider doing something makey uppy in the area of risk / compliance / internal controls as opposed to purely customer facing stuff.

There’s a few positions going in Console and I’d imagine your “pals” experience in compliance etc would stand to him. Also help would be close at hand if his midlife crisis was getting too much for him.

1 Like

That’s some good advice right there. Thanks, pal. I’ll speak to my friend about it.

come to London bandage, anyone with a bit of cut can make it here, it full of bluffers and you can clean up in almost sector, you just need to talk a good game to get a senior management position, from what I can see the higher up the food chain, the less work you do, I now work around 3 hours day and get paid more money that I can spend

4 Likes

12 Likes

It’s shocking the amount of jealousy on here towards your success pal, the old Irish begrudgery is still alive and well in the 21st century.

7 Likes

it would take more than a few half drunk simpletons to upset me pal, I’m bulletproof, incredibly successful and loving my life

2 Likes