Career Change

What you get when you hand in your notice :joy::joy: covid caused the lowest one in years in my place.

I had a very good experience doing a UCD course online, my friend also. All online over zoom, Thursday and Friday morning. I stopped the course half way through because my circumstances changed. They were completely sound and said that if I ever come back in a few years time I can just restart from where I left off.

1 Like

Considering a radical change. Sick of the airport and all the MHQ nonsense. My job is nothing like it was two years ago when I genuinely did like it. I’m at shift work now a long time too.

I have the option to go for a job in Abuja, Nigeria. I assume it’s madness even considering that?

1 Like

Doing what?

1 Like

Civil-service type work (nothing too strenuous)

As little as possible.

QED

5 Likes

Go for it.

Words in brackets superfluous.

1 Like

Wouldn’t be for me

Safety and security

Local travel

On 12 June, protests over insecurity are planned in multiple locations, including large cities. You should remain vigilant, avoid demonstrations, protests or large gatherings and pay attention to local media and social media reports on protest locations.

In Southern Nigeria, curfews have been imposed in response to reports of attacks on security personnel, police stations and checkpoints. In Anambra State, a curfew is in place in six communities from 7pm to 6am daily. Ebonyi State has a curfew covering all entry and exit points from 8pm to 6am. In Rivers State, the state-wide curfew was extended from 11 May and is now in place from 7pm to 6am. Other curfews may be announced at short notice. We advise you to follow local news and information outlets to remain informed. On 5 April, Owerri prison in Imo State was attacked. Reports suggest over 1,800 prisoners escaped. You should be extra vigilant if in the area.

The Nigerian police launched ‘Operation Restore Peace’ on 19 May to deal with the recent increase in insecurity in South South and South Eastern states. This may lead to an enhanced security presence on the ground. There is no indication as to how long this operation will last. You should exercise caution whilst travelling in the region.

During October 2020, there were a number of large-scale protests (known as #EndSARS protests) in Abuja, Lagos and other locations across Nigeria. Strikes over workers’ rights in Kaduna State started on 17 May 2021. Protests have occurred and disruptions to transport and utilities have been reported. You should remain vigilant, avoid demonstrations, protests or large gatherings and pay attention to local media and social media reports on protest locations.

In January 2020, the al Qaeda-linked terrorist group Jamaat al Ansar al Muslimeen fi Bilad al Sudan, better known as Ansaru, claimed to have killed at least six people, kidnapped dozens, and destroyed several vehicles during an ambush along the Kaduna-Zaira highway in Kaduna State. You should avoid regular patterns of travel or movement, and aim to only travel during daylight hours. See Terrorism.

Since January 2018, the Islamic Movement of Nigeria (IMN) has protested regularly in central Abuja and other cities. These protests, particularly in Abuja, have the potential to turn violent. Local media reported a fatality on 21 January 2020 when police allegedly fired gunshots and tear gas to disperse protesters near the Berger roundabout in Wuse, Abuja. Tensions remain heightened. You should monitor local media, avoid any demonstrations or large gatherings and follow any instructions from local police and security forces.

Incidents of inter-communal violence occur frequently throughout Nigeria, particularly in the middle belt states. Attacks can occur without warning. Although foreign nationals are not normally targeted, there is a risk you could be caught in an attack. You should be alert to local government announcements and media reporting.

Political rallies, protests and violent demonstrations can occur with little notice throughout the country. International news events can sometimes trigger anti-Western demonstrations. There is the potential for increased tension on Fridays. Keep yourself informed of developments and if you encounter a threatening or intimidating situation, don’t try to make your way through it. Turn round and move to safety.

If you’re working in Nigeria, you should follow your employer’s local security guidelines. You are strongly advised to take professional security advice, be vigilant at all times and review your security measures regularly. Keep others informed of your travel plans and vary your routines. Make sure your accommodation is secure and consider pre-deployment training or travelling under close protection.

Be vigilant and take local advice on areas to avoid. Take particular care if you’re visiting crowded public places or attending events which attract large crowds. Criminals often use these situations as cover for robbery and theft.

Northern Nigeria

The FCDO advise against all travel to Borno State, Yobe State, Adamawa State, Gombe State, Kaduna State, Katsina State, and Zamfara State. Violent attacks are frequent and there is a high threat of kidnap. There is a threat from extremists linked to Boko Haram or ISWA in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa

Exchanging working in one secure compound with limits on your personal freedom for another.

2 Likes

Yes, your job in the airport will be back to normal in a year.
Unless Nigeria is for unreal money and you’re planning to make a quick snatch and come home again. You’ll hate Nigeria though. You’ll have no mates and the novelty will wear off after a few months.

He’ll be like a black man over there.

Would you not go somewhere better?
Go to middle east, work like a dog, save every penny for 2 years, then come home and hopefully you’ll have a big enough deposit to get a mortgage for a 600k shoe box apartment in Dublin.

15 Likes

The gyms in Nigeria must be savage

11 Likes

I know a lad in Saudi 8 years. Lives in a compound. 3 hour drive to get a pint. Tough going but he has saved serious amount of money.

Is he happy though?

8 years is a serious fucking slog over there.

4 Likes

He must be the tightest man in the world

1 Like

West Clare no doubt

1 Like