Career Change

Extremely flathulach when he comes home actually. He holidays in Thailand for 3 weeks every January and a few lads from town go over the odd year and meet up with him. Money no object they say. He says he can’t spend it. It’s a horrible place alright though he says.

1 Like

Is there some reason he has to stay? Seems like an odd way to spend a significant period of your life

1 Like

I’d be inclined to think this @Batigol.

Eight fucking years of that. Money isn’t everything.

2 Likes

I know a Quantity Surveyor in his 60’s out in a compound in Kuwait. Children reared, wife gone, shur what else would you be at i suppose. Over there nearly 4 years now

Sure unless TFK was blocked it’d suit all 9 posters here down to the ground.

5 Likes

The lads on here who barbecue in the rain wouldn’t be cut out for life in the Gulf

I get it, how the money is too good to refuse for Saudi, Qatar at all, but I can’t imagine doing it. I have thought about it, but I’ve yet to hear a good word about Dubai etc. Anyone who likes Dubai would go to “Marbs” and like that, so that’s what we’re dealing with. Turn a blind eye and rake in the money for a few years maybe…
You would wonder is there a want in some of those lads going off to Saudi for years on end.

1 Like

He sounds like a wrong ‘un.

2 Likes

Still better than Tipp town

You assume correct.

Take a year off and go somewhere, you’ll love the airport again when things are back to normal.

Good plan except he can’t travel this year

If it means you’re seconded to DFAD run a mile

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-15/nigeria-s-cratering-economy-may-become-africa-s-biggest-threat

I handed in my notice yesterday after 18 years in the same job

46 Likes

Good for you.

1 Like

a couple of friends parents done that

life in a compound would be tough but they came back loaded

Sending us all e mails saying he had 500k left to him by a long lost uncle who died 25 years ago and if we could kindly send our bank details in order for him to transfer the funds and he’ll split it 50/50 with us

11 Likes

Having considered similar at one point, the one thing to be mindful of that I’ve gleaned from others I know who’ve headed off the beaten track is the difficulty of getting back on the beaten track.

I know lads who disappeared to South America for what was to be 1 year and lasted a decade. I know some who did similar in Eastern Africa and got mad jobs, all interesting stuff.

There came a point they wanted to return home though and the local currency savings held little value here and local employers none too quick to reintegrate or ‘take a chance’ on them.

Not trying to dampen your idea; more something to include in considerations

1 Like

Is that the lad from our school (I think) who opened a hostel in Medellin?