Career Change

My pal absolutely loves Zambia which wouldn’t be on anyone’s radar as a tourist destination

Get @myboyblue to DM him.

Incredible apparently.

Romania is a lovely place according to my buddies on Telegram

4 Likes

A great philosopher once said “if you love somebody set them free”.

The west of the country is.

I’d also like to see Rwanda/Uganda, specifically the gorillas, Mali and Mauritania. The sister holidayed in the Ethiopian Highlands one time and said it was incredible.

1 Like

Most people’s perception of Ethiopia is shaped by Band Aid.

It’s meant to be lovely.

A better chance of meeting the guerrillas I’d say

I’d say you have a fair idea at this stage.

Uganda is unreal green, like Ireland

That’s it alright.

I’d agree with the most of that but Uganda and Nigeria are different stories. Living in a compound and needing a driver to bring you anywhere you want to go outside of the compound does sound like the life of Reilly to me. Actually a friend of mine is in Uganda working for an NGO at the moment, it seems to be an absolutely amazing place.

Having your own driver sounds class.

Spent a few weeks doing a bit of work in Zambia 13 years ago and loved the place. There were Irish over there in NGOs etc who never wanted to leave.

I’ve a friend who since 2007 has been on and off in the Gambia (albeit a very different part of Africa). His Mrs is a pediatrician and they came back and moved to Edinburgh I’m guessing around 2009 and spent a good while there as he went back to college and started a family. Then I’d say about 4/5 years ago they went back to Gambia with the kids. Think they came back late last year/early this year to Edinburgh where they’ll stay I’d say until the kids are finished school and I could imagine them out the gap again to Gambia

1 Like

I had it in India for a while as we weren’t allowed drive. Very relaxing to have 2 hours a day back and get shit done on a commute

1 Like

Naughty Nuaghty, VERY Naughty

5 Likes

Gawking out the window more like

1 Like

I was asked to go Nigeria on a work assignment in 2004. If never happenened in the end as I was handing in my notice around that time… But for the fella that went instead of me it was a restricted existence for the 3 month stint. Company policy was strict around staying with compound etc etc with a few harmless beers here and there off the beaten track. Now the same fella would always do what he was told anyway but he didn’t enjoy it.

Lesson… How restricted will your movements be from a company perspective?

But if you’re in your 20s, go to fuck. This country will get a belt of covid debt in the next few years I reckon and quality of life may suffer.

1 Like