Career Change

Deactivate your LinkedIn account pal. Its a cesspit of an app.

2 Likes

:flushed:

You could knock me over with a feather

its unreal on the mainland at the moment, badgering every day, you can name your price

2 Likes

Oh it is yeah. I have notifications disabled on it and never use it but I see the emails coming into my gmail. Just keep the account open in case really.

A friend of mine has just moved over to The City for some big wig job doubling their salary. You’d be mad not to.

It’s all about finding a niche, but not too niche either.

3 Likes

My team lost three good people in the last few months. One to Pinterest, one to Google.

I’ve talked about this a little bit before. Once you’ve been in the same place for an extended period, given European labour laws, you’re building a significant redundancy pot of gold for yourself.

That would be the main driver for many to stay where they are despite the potential lure of chunky deals elsewhere. I’ve been where I am nearly 16 years. My attitude continues to be that I’m not leaving until I’m paid to leave. If I had been bouncing around like some lads I know I’d be looking for something new certainly.

14 Likes

Great Post. You’ll have your day, it’s a patience game.

1 Like

My 20s and 30s were filled with risk. I lost my nerve in the end and seeked shelter :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I once left a job in my 20s with a DB scheme. I had maybe 4 years of the 40. It would be worth a few Bob

I think I took 4K to go on holiday and cashed out.

1 Like

Yes, I did similar. Life is for living though… Particularly when you are young.

2 Likes

I partied particularly hard in Playa del Ingles - volcanos all round .

Great days.

2 Likes

The same company paid me 5000 euro to take a career break for a year. A lovely bit of pocket money to ramble around Asia for 4 month.

2 Likes

That’s beginning to be my thinking. Coming up on 9 years where I am. Could probably get a short term bump up if I moved but I’m comfortable where I am. Hoping I’d continue working 4 day weeks next year with 2 days from home. If I got that sorted I’d happily hide away for years and only leave when I’m dragged out the door with a lump sum in the pocket.

7 Likes

How can you engineer a redundancy pot of gold if your employer doesn’t go bust?

Do you get decent share options ?

The other thing about work is that there’s a goodwill reservoir you need to replenish. Once it’s empty if you fuck up you are fucked.

I find a lot of younger staff don’t have hard work in them and the ones who do stand out a mile and their careers are on fast forward

2 Likes

It’s more about the security of having that behind you as you move into later years.

If you moved, a crash came the following year, you could be on your ear with nothing.

3 Likes

The slaves to The Man are all out tonight.

4 Likes

Not just share options but proper equity, albeit vesting over multiple years. Golden handcuffs job.

The goodwill thing is a fair point. I could move to a completely new job in same company but my history stands to me. Moving somewhere new and I’m nothing but a number. Fair play to lads who bounce around and move quicker. I couldn’t hack the thought of it.

3 Likes

Ok Bodie