Career Change

If the person really cares about you they will understand. I had an ex colleague start a job that I referred them for last year and left after 2 weeks, didn’t like it and took their counter offer to return to previous job on much better terms. I was delighted for her and left it off. I wasn’t eligible for the referral bonus obviously but fuck it shes on way better terms and happy

5 Likes

Never happened to me so not a useful response, but good luck with it. Think your own post shows you know what you want/need to do. As @TreatyStones alludes to, you can get over what may be awkward/tough interactions and you can plough on with something that benefits you hugely both personally and professionally. It’d be worth it in the long run.

1 Like

We are all just cogs in the wheels of commerce. Put yourself first, there are plenty of cogs to take your place. Good luck.

11 Likes

Do whatever makes you happy

Don’t worry too much because life is too short to be miserable in a job you’d regret taking. The worst thing you could do is reject the better gig and then immediately start in a new role bitter about knowing you had a more suited gig in the bag.

I’d be fully honest with the person you were referred by though about your reasons. They should understand your thought process and get over it.

Best of luck with the new gig.

As some of the lads have said, look after yourself, let them know as soon as possible that this other offer has come in and it’s best for you. They’ll be grand, they’ll have someone else lined up you can be sure.

Its always better to have someone walk away before starting than having them come in, spend a few months realising its not for them and then leaving. Prioritise yourself and whats important to you as the lads have said. Anyone who won’t speak to you again over it wasn’t probably worth knowing in the first place.

3 Likes

Go with the first place. You’ll upset the hiring manager something awful if you dont.

12 Likes

I’d go with the job you want, but go to huge lengths to apologize personally and explain the circumstances/family balance etc.
It’s a small enough world, and a surfeit of good jobs may not be around forever.
I’m not sure if there are any legal ramifications, or even whether that depends on the contract you have signed.
It is far better to try to agree than just fcuk them off. Were the boot on the other foot, you’d be rightly vexed,but honesty and manners go a long way.

2 Likes

Tell them you’re pulling out. I’ve seen cases in recent years where people don’t even bother to tell us they aren’t turning up. War for talent 'innit?

2 Likes

They’ll do nuthin. Take the 2nd job, be polite and apologise and explain clearly your reasons for doing so and if your buddy is still pissed off then fuck him or her. Make sure the other position is nailed down first though before burning bridges.

5 Likes

Sound advice there lad. It’s 2’22, toes get walked on from time to time - they’ll get over it (tomorrow).
Good luck with the move, don’t mention the advice you’ve received here just yet.:wink:

1 Like

I think @Chucks_Nwoko is the forum expert on reneagueing on signed contracts.

6 Likes

Go with whoever will give you the most money and Then go back to the other job and say I’m getting offered x and can you better that.

reneging

Depends

put it this way, would you renege the 5 when the jack is on the table?

then again, there’s some that would reneague the joker

CC @anon67715551

We’d need to discuss these intricacies on the 25/45 thread.
You can of course renege, but the problems arise when there are excitable, vigilant players.

2 Likes

I know a couple lads that tried the Dutch auction approach and they were told to go type up their resignation letter.

She’s my ex and we’d be v close as far as exs goes tbh and she pushed my case and probably going to lose a bit of face which makes me feel like shit here.

I’ll be taking the 2nd job. Saving at least 90 mins commute a day. 4 days a week.Small family run business, boss seems sound. Dont need to casing money or pressure at this stage tbh. Thx for all the replys.

2 Likes