Career Change

Alot to admire there.

1 Like

Hard to argue with any of that.

4 Likes

I can see a very bright future for you young man.

The Conrad should be perfect for that

Book a conference room for the interviews

2 Likes

There’s an hotel in Liffey Valley, the Clayton possibly that got sterling reviews (one at least) here in the past. There were some less complimentary comments but you’d get over some minor drawbacks.
Keep a hatchet in your briefcase seemed to be the sub-text.

6 Likes

This looks the job alright. :ok_hand:

1 Like

Starting to get disillusioned with it all. I floated the idea for the 2nd time in my life 10 yrs ago about studying to be a post primary teacher. Revisiting the topic again, but would have to be via distance learning which would cost a pretty pretty penny.
Probably tappers corners subjects to choose: history and geography, 2 things that interest me without having to make an effort to go and read about them. Ta beaganin Gaeilge agam freisin, agus fraincis, iodailis agus spainnis…
Am I crazy to be thinking of this in my 40s!

4 Likes

Are you good on discipline? You could be dealing with some challenging teens. 2 year masters with a bit of subbing and then a couple of years working your way in somewhere but I’m sure you’d hope to be sitting here in 4 years time with your own hours and a permanent job in the offing. I’m sure being a Limerick GAA aficionado means you’d garner great enjoyment from coaching teams in a school. Being passionate about the subjects you teach will certainly help. The only downside is you’d be starting off on a pay rate somewhere in the region of 30k or less. Would you be willing to move to another part of the country if necessary?

You can do an S&A course over 8 -12 weeks and for less than a grand… and you can get a taste of school life through that. Doesn’t pay greatly…but if you got in somewhere semi permanent you can possibly scope more full time teaching from it if you still want to pursue it.

Ye cunts are always looking for soft auld jobs, like teaching etc. Get on a trade or learn to drive a digger, great money and no dealing with badly reared little bastards in the classroom.

10 Likes

A friend of mine did it in her 40s and is a full time post primary teacher. I’d go for it. If I had my time back I’d have loved to have been a secondary school teacher.

You would ya…a load of scrotes calling you a cunt. Dont you get enough of that here?

13 Likes

Go for it pal. I met a woman in her late 50s who was principal of a small school in West Clare. She was originally from the area but had spent about 20+ years in the states working with an airline I think. Came back when she was late 40s and only started to study primary teaching then.

Orhers would know more but I’m fairly sure it’s hard to get a permanent job with those sort of subjects. Might be worth keeping in mind.

You wouldn’t get that in the Grammar Schools where @locke’s kind would get the jobs

1 Like

You’d get a better class of teenage cunts in those schools

1 Like

Irish would get him a job easily enough but the danger for him would be that most of his hours would be Irish and he wouldn’t get to teach as much history and geography as he’d like.

Teach history and geography in a gaelscoil. Oxo.

That put me off years ago. The idea of freezing in front of unruly teenagers. Taught English years ago, and instruments for a while too, was mixed to be honest. The same old story, the ones who were useless were hardest to control or even motivate sometimes. I think I was way too young when I was teaching English. I would have a totally different approach now I think.
While I was never a hurler, more a soccer man, I’d love to teach kids hurling. I would love to have been a hurling goalie. I suppose the pay cut, saving for a house etc, all go against me.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind teaching Irish either, but it wouldn’t be recognised by the teaching council. It was my best subject at school.