Career Change

Definitely. But lot of older people have retired and younger people travelling. We have huge amount of unfilled vacancies

Im busy but my boss is sound and well able to manage up which is half the battle

1 Like

No. I just got pissed off with what I was doing and took unpaid leave. I got the new job while I was off. Actually I took six months off :slight_smile: twas great.

2 Likes

Problem solvers and decision makers are always in demand.

Terrible managers are probably half the reason people do leave positions. The other side is money or promotion obviously.

Having a fair/good boss is a big plus.

6 Likes

If you are convinced you want to leave would you approach them about redundancy?

Worst they can say is no. It could align with them looking to trim costs.

Or in some cases one that just doesn’t get in the way.

1 Like

Go out sick, don’t just walk and eat into your own savings… You gave em 20 years, a couple of months sick pay is nothing. Stick in your notice then and they’ll probably call it quits and pay up the notice period… My brother in law quit recently after snapping and having a bit of a breakdown… He should have just handed in a sick cert and he’s now dealing with the mental breakdown but also having the pressure of starting to think about a new job very soon.

18 Likes

A rare piece of good advice from Tom. Go with this option if you’re going to go @Thornhill

Wellbeing and mental health are hot topics nowadays.

1 Like

Go sick bro

Play them

They dont give a fuck about you

6 Likes

I’ll get paid Thursday and with pay in December and a bonus that would allow me 3 or 4 months off without touching my savings. So I could make it a nice clean break.

It’s starting to come into focus for me as I need to recruit for roles that would be reporting into me but I’d feel fairly bad about it if I was to get someone in door selling them a role and a while later I am heading off out of it.

2 Likes

You sound like a man whose going to execute. The best of luck to you. 20 years service… You owe them nothing.

3 Likes

If you have sick leave then take it. Don’t be a mug.

1 Like

I agree with this. 20 years service is a fair severance package to get if you can manufacture a way for them to want to get rid of you.

1 Like

That’s it exactly. A proper mindset, whereby you will sort yourself out. The best of luck to you with it. Take sick leave if you need to, but not as a “fuck you” to your employer as some suggested. Lots of jobs are stressful. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but it’s important that you can manage the stress and stay in a positive headspace. When that starts to shift to the negative, it’s time for change. If you cannot do your job due to illness, then by all accounts make use of sick leave.

I’m really surprised at some of the lads advising you to take sick leave as if it was a preferred option. Maybe Ireland has gone to the dogs? Everyone knows that it’s a small pond out there and people talk. “What’s this Thornhill chap like?” “Ask me last year and I couldn’t have praised him highly enough. However, he’s been on an extended leave for 3 months now. Might be best to steer clear.”

5 Likes

There’s a reason we have the highest rate on disability allowance in the EU.

If you’re not sleeping, go. I packed in a pinnacle job because the colleagues were such wankers I couldn’t bear it. I used to sit in management meetings thinking it was like a bunch of four year olds. I was back to how I was at school, staying awake for as long as possible on a Sunday night so it wouldn’t be Monday morning. I miss the quality of work, but that’s it. Overall I’m far happier. Don’t work Wednesday’s at all now and that has been life changing.

9 Likes

2 Likes

Is that the dad from the Royle family? Jim ?..

Been there @Thornhill and didn’t realise it until I was actually made redundant. 12 years in the job and it was a relief to have been let go. I didn’t feel it straight away but within a month or two I did and never looked back thankfully.

1 Like