Cars

They hardly have bulbs ffs :rofl:

They have car charging lamposts in thr big smoke already mate

Thatā€™s way out of most ppls reach

Its 400 for a home charger

And completely unnecessary. Do you need a petrol station at your house if you have a petrol car?

4 Likes

Interesting. So just use the chargers that are at shopping centres or petrol stations?

Donā€™t get a DC fast charger at home. Itā€™d cost ā‚¬20k to install the 3 phase system. Itā€™s complete overkill.

Do get a regular home charger that can charge up to 7kwh. It costs a few hundred quid after the charger grant you get for it.

2 Likes

This article is basically saying our NCT system isnā€™t up to scratch.

https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2022/0419/1293153-tens-of-thousands-of-uk-write-offs-on-irish-roads/

Whatā€™s the cost of the fast charger itā€™s self? Say you had three phase already

Quick look says. ā‚¬1200 for 22kwh.
Assuming thatā€™s just 7kwh running triple speed.

Not sure about 43kwh or bigger.

1 Like

What are peoples thoughts on cash buying vā€™s a loan? It is a nice feeling to have no credit card debt lingering or have a credit union loan but Just trying to think this one out logically. If I was to buy a car and had 20,000 in cash to finance the purchase it would be pretty logical to cash buy given how the value of that cash now has been eroded by inflation that is running at somewhere close to 8% realistically. But paying that cash you have saved for a rainy day on a one off purchase like a car is substantial with little wriggle room to extricate yourself if something goes wrong with the car. If you get a loan rate that is well below inflation are you not getting money relatively cheaply and something to consider?

I personally would put the cash in a pension, and try and get finance at a very low rate.
Iā€™ll do that for our next car (electric it will be,)
Iā€™ll pay cash for an oul box for bucko though.
Iā€™ll haggle the price up a bit if it seems a good deal cc @Fagan_ODowd

2 Likes

It depends on the interest rate of the loan, I personally wouldnā€™t buy a car for cash unless it was cheap. Is there any other outlet for the cash?

I often wonder the same myself, would be cheaper obviously to buy it for cash but Iā€™d still go with the loan personally as i like to have some savings.

On another note anyone have views on savings just sitting there losing value due to inflation. Everyone seems to be investing now instead of saving but i got burnt on shares years ago so wary of investing since

If you are going for a new car some of the credit unions have great value loans (around 3.9%)

1 Like

We are setting up a Zurich dynamic fund. child benefit will go directly in and will top it up monthly as well by DD. Because of frequency of payment into it you should never really get burnt as you are buying high and buying low all the time. Obviously when it gets to the stage where the children are going to college might go risk neutral/risk averse in terms of the overall balance of the fund. On the side I was looking at setting up a Binance/Etoro account to maybe put in a bit of spare cash to maybe finance more spurious things like family holidays in time. I left it late in life to set up a pension unfortunately. The projections for the time I was 65 was not one whereby I would be going to vineyards in the south of France. I am hoping it is a case of under promising and over delivering but I am probably looking at having to make substantial AVC payments.

4 Likes

Movie GIF by Star Wars

The force will be with me.

1 Like

All the tax implications of these non pension funds made the idea less attractive when I last looked at it.

1 Like

Gains taxes as income at 41%. No offset for losses. Deemed sale after 5 years so you pay the tax even if you havenā€™t crystallised a gain.

A joke.

1 Like