Cars

The crux of my point is that the public infrastructure is a long way off. I’ve read recently that 2 billion is needed just to bring the national grid up to modern standards. Plus, can we really support a switch over to a mainly EV fleet in the long term if we are reliant on wind generation, an unpredictable source of energy?

I’d really love to see us grab the bull by the horns on tidal energy and become a world leader in it. An island nation should have no excuse. But I guess providing broadband to Ballyboghole gets more votes from rooral types than becoming a world leader in anything to do with the environment or climate change.

I guess I want to see less talk, more action in getting to a more diverse renewable sources providing the energy needed into the future.

3 Likes

Once we get rural broadband sorted we can move to this

Its not that far off. If you live in a house ots fine

The issue is with appartments and terrace houses.

All lamposts should have charging points

2 Likes

Ive seen pictures of those lamposts, great idea.

@StoneCold is right the grid needs a serious upgrade and more capacity to be built to connect the west coast to Dublin in particular if/when we increase the production of renewable electricity. The greatest opportunity for harnessing renewable electricity is on the west coast but we need to be able to transmit it to the area of greatest demand. Off shore wind and wave if done correctly can be our oil find. Add in the increased of EVs, we cannot sustain on our current infrastructure.

Concils changing lampposts in towns and cities to LEDs with EV charging is the way to go

No but I’ve been calling it that all along :flushed:, its a home charger just faster than domestic socket.

1 Like

Do domestic fast chargers work off single phase AC?

Fastest a normal single phase domestic charger can do is 7kwh.
(7.2 I think)

To go faster you’d need three phase.

They do, and that’s the big problem. Discussed on here before. Turn on your shower and your electric oven with that and you’ll blow the main fuse. They take serious current. Petrol, electricity, gas, it’s all energy and has to be paid for one way or the other.

1 Like

Car batteries and batteries in general have a potentially massive role to play in load balancing. Power can flow into your battery when we’re generating excess renewable energy and then back to the grid when we’re running a deficit.

Re: fuses blowing you just need a smarter charger like a Zappi that can automatically dial the charge up and down to avoid blowing a fuse.

4 Likes

Right, I have a Wallbox, same idea, dial up and down as needed.

Whats the solution? 3 phase for domestic? Upgraded fuse boxes or 2 way switches like you cant have 2 electic showers on at once? Separate power lines to the home?

Any sparkys on here that can explain what they think?

Unfortunately the batteries you can get to store energy from domestic PV panels are pricey last time i looked your talking about 6 grand. A great addition if more cost effective

You’re looking at 15-20k to have a DC charger at home

1 Like

@Little_Lord_Fauntleroy we need more grants to cover this mate. Send the message to eamon C/O the rural lads

You don’t need more than single phase 7kwh charging at home.

Storage batteries and solar panels will take some pressure off the grid.

2 Likes

How’s the ID4.

Would you recommend it

Get out of that shower. I need to go to Cork in the car.

Informative rating all the same.

I’m not familiar with these units. Makes sense to have that smart charging capability. Just monitor the main line coming into the house and reduce the output accordingly. Hope they are quick enough to sense a surge when Johnny comes in from training.

That would be some pain in the hole to manage, would you be happy degrading your car battery for a few cent?

Yes does everthing it says on the tin and is decent from an aesthetic point of view . Its also the right thing to do given the current environment however I couldn’t say it represents real value for money for where it stands in the market i.e. medium sized SUV. That could probably be said of all EVs right now though.

2 Likes