Celebrity Deaths 2022

He was one of the greatest of all time

Horse racing analogies are lost on me.

7 Likes

All large media organisations have them ready to go for major celebrities.

He deserves to be in the conversation.

1 Like

What players played abroad in that mid 1950s to mid 70s range? They all played in their home leagues for the majority. And considering Brazil won the world cup in 58, 62 and 70, its hard not to say that they would have had the best league of the time. And Santos winning the Copa Libertadores twice, and also beating Milan and Benfica in the inter continental.

The exodus of Brazilian players to Europe and expansion of transfers followed after, but that period where Madrid dominated europe was virtually all Spanish players and Milan all Italian etc. Comparing todays standards of leagues or transfers doesnt really apply to the way it was then. And like another post i put up on Pele a few weeks back, he was by a long way the biggest name around the world at the time, all the more impressive considering how different the media and differences in info being shared now.

8 Likes

Fao @Juhniallio

2 Likes

John Charles, Denis Law, Ferenc Puskas, off the top of my head.

From your opening line I was expecting a tribute from the Porter Laureate.

2 Likes

The Framboise of soccer football. RIP.

A part of football has died here.

2 Likes

Scottish, Irish or Welsh playing in England wouldnt really be the same as a Brazilian going to Europe. Puskas yes, but the fact he is higlighted shows it wasnt the norm. The vast majority of those Madrid teams had all Spanish players, Puskas and an Argentinian here or there were the only foreigners

A good chunk of the pre-eminent European club side of the era that you mentioned, Real Madrid were foreigners. DomĆ­nguez - Argentina, Puskas - Hungary, Di Stefano - Argentina, SantamarĆ­a - Uruguay, Kopa - France.

1 Like

For me heā€™ll always be the face of erectile dysfunction

9 Likes

ā€œIā€™m Peleā€
ā€œOK, Iā€™m Georgie Bestā€
The rest were nowhere. Simply the greatest ever.

1 Like

Pele was to erectile dysfunction what Shane Warne was to the follically challenged. Hard to believe theyā€™re both gone in the same year.

Charie Hurley

My sources in the Vatican tell me that Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI will not see out the weekend.

Another proper header like Pele.

God bless him. A great nan

Correct. I had a great drunken argument with a Brazilian one night and him not having a word of English and me not having a word of Portuguese - i was for Maradona he was for Garirnchaā€¦ He dismissed Pele.

1 Like