Celebrity Deaths 2022

The Poet has spoken
Let that be the last word from the nation on it

A legend has fallen :sleepy:

Michilìn was quick off of the mark there.

2 Likes

He was knacky enough all the same from what I’ve seen of him on the old footage. A little bit before my time.

My sense of it from the few times I was in Brazil was that Pele was respected more than revered in Brazil. It was Garrincha off the 1958 and 1962 teams that got the Maradona style idolatry, not Pele.

1 Like

Pre prepared

Oven ready.

They used to have them constantly ready for the Queen

2 Likes

Awful day anyway. Beaten at 2/9 and pele dies

3 Likes

Fuck. Sad day but the man was a fucking legend. Someone posted a savage video of him doing all the tricks a while back. It was amazing. RIP pele. He never did see an African team lift the world cup but he hung on for as long as possible.

1 Like

Hard to believe they’re all gone now.

From what my elders have told me, Garrincha in 62 was as big a carry job as Denman in the Hennessy.

The Arkle of association football
RIP

He was one of the greatest of all time

Horse racing analogies are lost on me.

7 Likes

All large media organisations have them ready to go for major celebrities.

He deserves to be in the conversation.

1 Like

What players played abroad in that mid 1950s to mid 70s range? They all played in their home leagues for the majority. And considering Brazil won the world cup in 58, 62 and 70, its hard not to say that they would have had the best league of the time. And Santos winning the Copa Libertadores twice, and also beating Milan and Benfica in the inter continental.

The exodus of Brazilian players to Europe and expansion of transfers followed after, but that period where Madrid dominated europe was virtually all Spanish players and Milan all Italian etc. Comparing todays standards of leagues or transfers doesnt really apply to the way it was then. And like another post i put up on Pele a few weeks back, he was by a long way the biggest name around the world at the time, all the more impressive considering how different the media and differences in info being shared now.

8 Likes

Fao @Juhniallio

2 Likes

John Charles, Denis Law, Ferenc Puskas, off the top of my head.

From your opening line I was expecting a tribute from the Porter Laureate.

2 Likes