Celtic 2012/2013 season discussion thread

How old is Danny now?

My friend (Wikipedia) tells me he’s 62.

From STV:

[font=verdana]Celtic midfielder Victor Wanyama has rejected an improved contract from the club, the player’s agent has told STV.[/font]

[font=verdana]Wanyama has seen his stock rise rapidly in his time in Scotland and has reportedly been interesting several top flight English clubs.[/font]

[font=verdana]The Kenyan midfielder, who arrived from Belgian side Beerschot AC in the summer of 2011, is under contract until 2015.[/font]

[font=verdana]Following impressive performances, Celtic have taken the proactive step of offering an improved deal to the player.[/font]

[font=verdana]STV understands Wanyama was offered a more lucrative package, which would also have added an additional year onto his contract.[/font]

[font=verdana]Wanyama’s agent Rob Moore, who watched his client in action against Barcelona in the Champions League on Tuesday, said that the offer from Celtic had been rejected.[/font]

[font=verdana]’'Victor has informed Celtic the contract offer fell short of his expectations," Moore told STV.[/font]

[font=verdana]“There were a number of aspects that fell short - he turned it down.”[/font]

[font=verdana]Celtic boss Neil Lennon said last week that he hoped to hold more talks with Moore and Wanyama this week but the agent says no further discussions have taken place.[/font]

[font=verdana]“There hasn’t been another offer,” Moore added. "The ball is in Celtic’s court.’’[/font]

[font=verdana]Celtic rejected an offer believed to be in excess of £8m from QPR in the summer for Wanyama. The player’s agent says the midfielder is enjoying his football in Scotland, but is aware he could earn more elsewhere.[/font]

[font=verdana]’'He is very happy with the job he is doing at the moment. He is a great professional and his commitment cannot be questioned.[/font]

[font=verdana]“But it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out that he lost great earning potential in the summer [by not moving to England].”[/font]

[font=verdana]Celtic were unavailable for comment.
[/font]

[font=verdana]Hopefully the parties can agree a deal over the coming weeks / months. Otherwise he may have to be sold in the summer for a significant fee.[/font]

Wanyama is an absolute monster of a player. When is his contract up? Providing it runs up until 2015 then I’d say the minimum he should be sold for is £20m.

It’s until 2015 alright. He’s a cracking player and could get even better with more experience.

Neil has placed a GBP£25m price tag on Wanyama. A touch low but I guess I can live with it. We’re under no pressure to sell him anyway. I might send Victor a tweet to suss out what he’s thinking.

A 10-14 day absence for Samaras has been confirmed.

Scott Brown has returned to training after being forced off with injury on Tuesday.

Lassad will be out for 2 weeks and McGeouch is expected back next week.

Celtic team to face Kilmarnock: Forster; Matthews, Wilson, Mulgrew, Izaguirre; Forrest, Kayal, Ambrose, Ledley; Commons, Miku
Subs: Zaluska, McCourt, Lustig, Rogne, Watt, Wanyama, Hooper

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/149123/1/watch-celtic-vs-kilmarnock.html

Commons is captaining us today. :clap:

When is Stokesy back lads?

Not sure, another month at least I’d say.

Don’t know how Ledley missed that. Nice ball from Commons and good touch from Miku.

Poor from Matthews and Ambrose. 1-0 Kilmarnock.

Awful goal to concede. Poor pass, Ambrose was sloppy then and I thought Forster made it very easy for Sheridan.

The three of them made a collective fuck up of monumental proportions there. Forster was probably least culpable but I felt he had a chance to beat Sheridan to the ball if he sprinted out of the box. Matthews’ initial pass seemed to take Ambrose by surprise - the latter was pointing back to the keeper as if to signal to Matthews to play it back to Forster. Ambrose could still have hacked it away instead of trying to touch it past Sheridan though. Kilmarnock frustrated us very much there.

I can understand the need to freshen things up after Barcelona but I think we’ve been very predictable and much of that is down to the team selected. Two defensive midfielders and Ledley means we’re playing the ball around in non-threatening areas and neither full-back is having much joy going forward (though Izzy had a couple of late runs) which means Forrest is the only player dragging them wide, and he’s not been very involved either.

They’ve been very comfortable defensively and have done their job well but we’ve made it easy for them. Commons is playing between Kayal and Mulgrew/Ambrose when we have the ball and we’re just hoping Ledley will burst forward and get onto a flick from Miku.

Ambrose again, what a disaster he is.

Hooper on for Kayal.

Hooper should have scored that but at least we finally showed some attacking urgency.

Great save from Forster but our midfield parted alarmingly there.

Bring on Anthony Watt. FFS.