Celtic 2012/2013 season discussion thread

Where is the Rudnevs story coming from? Iā€™m going to go out on a limb here and say that the bid was not for him and that it is instead for young Henriksen, when I posted about Rudnevs on Friday, I was just after reading on the FIFA website that it was practically a done deal. So unless we lodged this bid last week some time I doubt its merits. Good to see us targeting quality players like him however, over the past two or three years weā€™ve missed out on some excellent strikers up front - Damari, Giroud, Diawara are three that come to mind - instead we ended up with Bangura and Rasmussen. How has Knowledge Musona done at Hoffenheim?

Also lads, what do you think the future augers for Stokes? I can see him leaving at the end of next season, Lennon simply doesnā€™t believe in him and itā€™s had a negative impact on his performances in the latter part of the season. If thereā€™s a new striker coming in, it will likely result in less playing time and I think he may get fed up and leave. I donā€™t think Lennon has handled the striker situation too well this season. There was a period there for about 5 or 6 games (around March/April) where Hooper was awful and he persisted with him while Stokes who was clearly the form player was the one who was demoted. I think he needs to pay more emphasis to current form and not embedded notions like Samaras having to play up front against Rangers or Hooper being undroppable.

Linked with a swap deal with Kelvin Wilson for Matt Mills this morning.

Swedish club AIK have released a statement claiming to have signed defender Daniel Majstorovic from Celtic.

Confirmed by Celtic.

Third choice keeper Dom Cervi has also left.

So thatā€™s Maj, Cervi and Mark Wilson as confirmed departures.

The Celtic WAGs have also been tweeting their goodbyes to Loovensā€™ wife. :lol:

I hope Sammy is holding up well. :frowning:

Lads, I think we should propose some realistic summer signings that could we could get this coming summer. Today we will look at the centre back problem.

My recommendation is Chievoā€™s Bostjan Cesar. A rugged tough centre back who would relish in the physical trenches of the SPL, heā€™s off the back of two very solid seasons with Chievo, he will turn 30 this summer and will add an imposing figure in our defence as well as meeting Lennonā€™s criteria with his vast experience. I would estimate we could get him for a fee somewhere between Ā£1.5-3m.

While researching two other potential targets I have discovered that they have already agreed summer switches - last years Danish u-21 central defensive partnership who impressed me in the Euro u-21 championship, Andreas Bjelland and Mathias Jorgenesen. Bjelland will join Twente this summer while Jorgensen is joining PSV on a bosman. I feel we missed out on a couple of bargains here.

Good idea. Staying on centre backs for the moment:

Iā€™d like to see us enquire after Felipe Santana of Borussia Dortmund. Heā€™s not getting a look in there because of the Subotic-Hummels partnership but Iā€™d have no qualms about accepting a player who isnā€™t good enough to dislodge those two. Heā€™s a big unit. still young for a centre back (26), his birthday is St Patrickā€™s Day and Kevin Grosskreutz can sell him on the glory of Celtic.

Heā€™d be at the top end of our price list Iā€™d say (Iā€™m guessing ā‚¬4m or so) but would be a good investment and would be a regular at nearly any other Bundesliga club I think.

A more raw alternative would be Assani Lukimya-Mulongoti of Fortuna Dusseldorf. He is playing in the second division in Germany after some disciplinary issues but has been consistently very good there for two years and has attracted interest from other clubs. He appeared to be signing for Koln but that was on the condition that they maintained their Bundesliga status so heā€™s now free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaCqL-TlFjc

The other player Iā€™d like to have recommended from the Bundesliga was Philipp Wollscheid who is a terrific prospect, also a good strong defender, but he signed a pre-contract with Leverkusen in January unbeknownst to me.

Sean Morrison of Reading on loan at Huddersfield. A rock of centre-half and still a young lad. Might be cheap enough and as heā€™s a Gael heā€™d surely jump at the chance. Heā€™s like a much better Darren Oā€™Dea.

Linked with Craig Gordon today and Ki has said heā€™s uncertain about his future.

Today I will address the wing position, a player that came to my attention last year was Ecuadorian winger Michael Arroyo who impressed me in the 2011 Copa America. Michael is 25 years old and plays for Mexican club Atlante.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA4BHUDRiX4

I wouldnā€™t mind us taking an interest in David Templeton, he has failed to progress since last season but has been best by injury problems, I do believe he has the potential to become a decent player and if we could get him for a fee in the region of Ā£500k, I would be all for signing him.

Johann Berg Gudmundsson is another player who caught my eye at last yearā€™s European u-21 Championship. A sprightly winger with a good left foot, Johann play for AZ in Holland and is 21 years old with 15 senior caps for Iceland to his name.

Moving on to strikers, I feel we need to add two strikers. One of our problems this season was that both Hooper and Stokes were very streaky and while both had decent seasons as a whole when they were on a bad run there wasnā€™t viable options for replacing them. I believe we need a striker who is a predator in the penalty box, someone who relishes attacking the ball from crosses and is good in the air. For this role I have two strong recommendations, both previous links to us. The first is Jordan Rhodes, I think heā€™s the perfect player for this role and Iā€™ve no doubts of how big a success he would be at Celtic, he reminds me of Chris Sutton in his movement and his goal scoring record is phenomenal, heā€™s worth up to Ā£4m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjKhfewSls8

The next recommendation is a player who was heavily linked with us last summer although little substance appeared to exist. Torinoā€™s Rolando Bianchi has been in and out of the team this year and could be open to a move. Again, his penalty box movement is something we are lacking at the minute and youā€™d imagine he would score plenty at Celtic. Iā€™d imagine he would be available for a fee of about Ā£2m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiLJO7Lklfw

While a penalty box predator is the number one priority for us this season Iā€™d also like to see us sign an attacker similar to Stokes and Hooper, someone who can score goals and link up play well. Again Iā€™d like to see us return to a target from last season, Omer Damari. I believe he has a release cause in his contract for ā‚¬3m. Second top scorer in Israel this season and seems to run the channels very well and possesses a nice turn of pace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3frJXQy3yU

Richie Towell and Niall McGinn have been released by Celtic.

We have being linked with Leeds out-of-contract Aidy White.

He is a tidy footballer if a bit small and lightweight any time I have seen him, can play both left full and on the wing although more suited to full back. He made is debut when he was only 16 and is only around 21 now

Good stuff, we need some cover for left back. A young Irish lad who seems to have a bit about him with room to develop seems perfect.

While I would ordinarily welcome Celtic signing a Wexford man, I donā€™t think White is good enough for us.

I also see that Jaroslaw Fojut has tweeted to confirm that he failed his medical and the move has been shelved as a result.

Mcginn released as Lennon throws in the Towell

More links to Rhodes today, Lennon confirms an interest in Henriksen and Hartlepoolā€™s 17 year old striker Luke James also figures.

Simon Cox and Club Brugge striker Joseph Akpala linked with us today.

Real Madrid have announced that theyā€™re playing us in a friendly in Philadephia on August 11th.

Celtic Underground are hinting that weā€™re likely to be playing in that Amsterdam tournament too.

I take it weā€™re not playing the Dublin Super Cup this season - 1) Iā€™m not even sure itā€™s going to go ahead; and 2) we were apparently looking to arrange a game in Thomond Park and the FAI blocked it.

Be nice of Lawwell to give Darren O Dea a buzz. Ffs. Scandalous carry on.