Celtic 2012/2013 season discussion thread

Linked with Bjorn Bergmann Sigardarsaon, a young Icelandic striker playing in Norway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKd7tNlyTX4

Where will Celtic fans stand on the forthcoming referendum on Scottish independence?

I presume you mean the ones living in Scotland. Fairly mixed Iā€™d imagine. No love for the SNP who look like they want to create a Presbyterian utopia to me. Strange one for Labour who would do very well in Scotland if they were on their own but it would shaft them in England.

We appear to have signed Quentin Boesso.

For the few who are unfamiliar with Quentin, heā€™s a French/RĆ©union midfielder, 26 years of age, 1.77m tall and 69kg in mass.

He plays with Ajaccio in the French third flight (though now promoted to second tier) and plays for La RĆ©unuion (Agatheā€™s homeland) internationally, and most of his club football has been on that island. He appears to have 6 international goals in 4 international appearances and has a relatively decent scoring record for a midfielder at club level (8 in 28 last season, 11 in 31 the season before).

Heā€™s at the bottom right of this team photo of the Reunion squad.

Clips of him are few and far between (presumably for proprietary rights issues, not because of the level of football he has been playing).

But he scores here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qofjpbdmw0

gets lifted on shoulders here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nllaw9uwyGA

and scores again here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awxDdpDdrZU

Weā€™ll be playing Real Madrid in a friendly in the city of brotherly love this summer. :clap:

Efrain Juarez looks set for a move to Club America according to reports in Mexico, Keith Andrews has been linked with us today.

Not sure why weā€™d be after Andrews. Can understand why he might be available because Hodgson was a big part of his decision to move to West Brom but he doesnā€™t even know who the new manager will be. And with Brown, Kayal, Ledley, Wanyama, Ki in central midfield already heā€™d be sixth choice at the moment I reckon.

Yeah, I donā€™t think thereā€™s much to it. However, I do think we may be in for a central midfielder at a later date with the possibility of Ki leaving and I also see Lennon using Wanyama more as a centre back.

I have made a pledge that i will go to Parkhead next season for an old firm game. Can someone confirm if the huns are likely to still be in existence then? Also, is it hard to pick up a few tickets for these games?

Old Firm?

I think the Ki and Wanyama changes are fairly likely alright but Iā€™d be very doubtful that weā€™d make a move for a central midfielder now, and that Andrews would be top of our list.

I think Henriksen would be the main target going by media speculation and Lennonā€™s comments about him, I think Ki will need to leave first or to have something in the pipeline with regard to his departure.

?

Current Champions League qualification picture for Celtic:

3rd Qualifying Round

3rd Qualifying Round is on 31st July/1st August and 7th/8th August.

We will be seeded in that round and the highest seeded teams we could face are:

Sheriff Tiraspol (Moldova)
Debrecen (Hungary)
Maribor (Slovenia)
Ventspils (Latvia)
Slovan Liberec (Czech)
Slask Wroclaw (Poland)
HJK Helsinki (Finland)
AEL Limassol (Cyprus - APOEL only finished second)
Ekranas (Lithuania)
Zestafoni (Georgia)

If results donā€™t go to seeding then the likes of Shamrock Rovers, Linfield, TNS can all come through to be potential opponents. The wild cards Iā€™d be concerned about though are:

The Israeli league was won by Hapoel Ironi Kiryat Shmona who just won their first league title (and won the double in Israel). They won their league with 5 games to go (beating Hapoel Tel Aviv into second place) so I imagine theyā€™re a good team despite having no European pedigree which means theyā€™re lowly seeded. Only 2 ā€œupsetsā€ are required to move them into the seeded section in the third qualifying round so thereā€™s a reasonable chance that theyā€™ll be on Celticā€™s side of the draw.

Iā€™d be less concerned about Molde but surprised to see them unseeded also. (The top ranked unseeded team is Shamrock Rovers, followed by the Israelis and then Molde). They could be potentially relatively strong opposition but should be manageable anyway.

Playoff Round

If we negotiate our way through that round we then have the play-off round where there are 5 possible opponents. The games will be played on 21st/22nd August and 28th/29th August.

The strongest opponents we could expect (based on seedings) to face are:

Dinamo Zagreb (Croatia)
CFR Cluj (Romania)
MSK Zilina (Slovakia)
Partizan (Serbia)
Helsingborg (Sweden)

Obviously any of the unseeded teams above would also be in contention if they were to win against the seeded teams in previous rounds.

The teams we definitely wonā€™t play are:

Basel
Anderlecht
BATE Borisov
Red Bull Salzburg

Lennon will have big questions to answer if we donā€™t qualify, IMO.

Iā€™ve been left saddened by the developments regarding Alan Thompsonā€™s departure from the club. :frowning:

Must have been some kind of incident or issue here surely? Just saw his lawyer released a statement he was fired. Very strange.

Lifestyle issues seems to be the reason behind it if you read the reports, Iā€™m very disappointed. Thompson comes across as a gentleman and it would be sad if his long friendship with Lennon has been damaged by this.

Celtic have released this statement via their Facebook page.

Celtic FC can confirm Alan Thompson has left the club. We can also confirm that a meeting was set up between Alan Thompson and Neil Lennon on Sunday in Newcastle. However, Alan refused to meet with Neil hence the reason for the discussion being conducted by telephone.
The matter is now in the hands of lawyers and therefore we are unable to go into any further details.

This could get very messy. :frowning:

Disappointing news on the face of it.