Celtic Non-Matchday Discussion

Lads

Do Celtic still produce "The Wee Green Book " ?

I don’t know, mate.

But I do know that Brown (2 year extension), Simunovic and McGregor (both 4 years) all signed contract extensions last week.

Dembélé made a goalscoring return at the weekend after a couple of months out and Boyata is set to return tomorrow night at Dens Park in the League Cup quarter final.

Sevco away on Saturday lunchtime and then a midweek Champions League clash in Belgium. I see Anderlecht sacked their manager yesterday or Sunday after a poor start to the season despite winning the league and getting to the last 8 of the Europa League last season (losing after extra time to eventual winners Manchester United).

1 Like

Seems a ridiculous decision to sack him. Players don’t seem too enthusiastic about the decision.

And thanks for capturing the contract extensions on record. All very worthwhile deals and an excellent statement of intent from the club.

I know it’s a match day but as good a thread as any.

To once again recognise the tragedy of The Great Hunger, Celtic will be wearing the National Famine Memorial Day logo on the Hoops when they take to the field this Saturday for our match against Hibernian at Celtic Park.

Unquestionably, the Great Hunger was a transforming event in Ireland, which changed the demographic and cultural landscape forever. Indeed, there is nothing else in the history of the Irish people that can be likened to the Great Hunger, either for its immediate impact, or its legacy of emigration, cultural loss and decline of the Irish language.

Heather Humphreys TD, Minister for Arts, Heritage, Regional Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs and Chair of the National Famine Commemoration Committee, announced that this year’s National Famine Commemoration will take place on Saturday, September 30, 2017 in Ballingarry, County Tipperary.

Speaking at the Launch in April 2017, Minister Humphreys said: “This is the first time the National Famine Commemoration will be hosted in Co Tipperary. Each year the commemoration represents an opportunity for the modern generation to remember the devastating impact which the Great Famine had on this country.

“Sadly, the plight of hunger still stalks the world today. Our commemoration of the sufferings of our own past can only strengthen and increase our sense of empathy and understand with those societies afflicted by this scourge in our own era.”

Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell said: “The origins of Celtic Football Club will forever be connected to the Great Famine and it is hugely important that we once again mark this annual memorial”.

“Celtic was established as a force for good, a vehicle to support people in real need, people whose families had previously escaped the devastation of the Great Famine.

“The club’s ethos and traditions are borne from these events and these values of charity and community will never change.

“It is important that we always remember the devastating and lasting affect which the Famine had on the lives of so many millions of people and we are pleased again to play our part in this year’s commemoration."

A number of the special jerseys from Saturday’s match will be auctioned with the proceeds going to the work of Celtic FC Foundation.

1 Like

Brown (hamstring) and Armstrong (calf strain) will be out for a few weeks according to Rodgers.

Simunovic has torn his hamstring apparently. :cry:

Kev will go ballistic.

Do you remember him going down with it late on in Belgium last midweek and needing Boyata to stretch it out for him or were you too shitfaced at that stage? Hopefully it’s at the lower end of the scale and “tear” is tabloid wording.

The Scottish Sun are reporting a “glove story” with Craig Gordon dating former Celtic TV host Summer Harl.

I had forgotten that but I recall it now that you mention it. I think we’d have heard about it earlier if it was a serious tear.

Brown, Armstrong and Simunovic all trained today.

2 Likes

None will feature on Saturday but all should be available for Munich next Wednesday.

2 Likes

What station is the Celtic game on Wednesday night.

I’ll be livid if they’re showing the United game ahead of Celtic again.

BT mate. RTÉ showing Benfica vs Man Utd

TV3 showing Maribor vs Liverpool tomorrow when one would assume Man City vs Napoli or Real Madrid vs Spurs would be a more attractive watch.

2 Likes

They are a disgrace.

RTE

Radio
Television
England

Celtic have just won the best fans award at the FIFA Football Awards 2017. :clap: :shamrock: :brendan: :dembele:

In other news, UEFA fined Celtic €10k today for the incident against PSG when a fan came onto the pitch and launched a kick at Mbappe. :clap: :shamrock: :brendan: :dembele:

3 Likes

Kieran Tierney has signed a new 6 year deal! :green_heart::four_leaf_clover::shamrock::shamrock::four_leaf_clover::green_heart::green_heart::shamrock::four_leaf_clover::green_heart::clinking_glasses::ok_hand:t4:

5 Likes

Kieran Tierney’s here for twelve in a row.

:brendan:

2 Likes

Are we on TV3 tomorrow night, bhoys?

A ten minute slot in the highlights package ,