Celtic Non-Matchday Discussion

Thanks mate. Did you get the hair cut yet ?

1 Like

Celtic got Valencia on the Road to Baku

Hope I’m wrong but Celtic won’t be on that road for much longer mate.

Valencia are doing very poorly this season. Tough draw but not impossible

Could you pm me?

Celtic and Valencia played a cracking UEFA tie in the MON era , ( circa 2004 ??) . Went to penalties at CP . The tie was showed live by TG4 . The Spanish keeper with the blue rinse did well .

1 Like

Larsson scored a lovely goal but missed a penalty in the shoot out. Can’t remember the year.

1 Like

Guys, would you take any of the following to settle our attacking problems this transfer Window?

Brophy
Kennedy
Kamberi

I like the look of Brophy when I’ve seen him play, but of pace and energy about him and now seems to be adding goals. Kennedy doing well at St Johnstone too. Both are quite young, 22 and 24.

Ideally we would look at someone outside the SPL with a bit more potential but I do like the look of Brophy when I have seen Killie play.

I’ve heard Vincent Janssen mentioned.

It was some bit of business by Levy spunking 17m on a striker who scored 1 goal for them.

John McGinn is a serious operator, it’s one we will certainly rue over the coming years.

Highlights from Saturday’s win:

Boyata, Tierney and Edouard are all meant to be fit for Aberdeen away on the 26th. Away to Sevco then on the 29th so big festive fixtures indeed. Ryan Christie came on at the weekend when it initially looked like he’d sustained a serious injury against RB Salzburg.

Aberdeen have come from the bottom half to the top three since losing the Lesgue Cup Final on 1st December. They rebounded by winning at Ibrox the following midweek and they’ve won every game since afaik.

They’re hammer throwers but they’re effective with it. McInnes’ tactics for Celtic is like something an underage manager would do - he adopts man marking all over the pitch and then they pump the ball forward when they win it back and look to play for free kicks and long throw ins so they can “get it in the mixer”.

Boyata hasn’t played since going off in that final at the start of a December but it’s the type of game you’d want him back for. It’ll be interesting to see if the youngsters like Ralston and (in particular) Johnston are retained for big away games. The latter looks a serious prospect.

Rogic will miss the Sevco game as the Aussie manager has called him up for some tournament and is demanding his release to the national squad. McGregor, Christie and Rogic had looked good for a clutch of games as the midfield trio before Christie’s injury, but Ntcham and Brown are back in the reckoning now. Will Rodgers go for Brown’s steel and experience or what?

Sinclair had his best game in ages at the weekend too, but there’s also the option of playing Johnston wide. McGregor has been very good as the deepest midfield in terms of distributing the ball forward neatly and quickly but he can also play in any other midfield role so there’s plenty of things for the manager to consider ahead of these games.

1 Like

As things stand I wouldn’t start Brown (or Ntcham). I’m not sure if Christie can play 90 minutes now but if he can then I’d play him, McGregor and Rogic for Aberdeen. Then Brown for Rogic I guess.

Johnston is Irish qualified by the way.

1 Like

Timothy Weah has announced he’s going out on loan from PSG for the second half of the season and he’s now followed a raft of Celtic players on Instagram. :thinking:

3 Likes

I guess a loan makes sense here but I hope we’re still looking for someone to replace Dembele more permanently and allowing Edouard to compete for other attacking positions too.

We have some American right back chap (Manny Perez) apparently joining too (only a young lad) as well as linked with a Mexican centre back (Edson Alvarez).

1 Like

I don’t see much in the link with the Mexican centre half, he’s of a very slight frame for Scottish football.

We were linked with a Bosnian centre half whose contract is up in the summer and plays for the club we signed Van Dijk from which I think could be a fairly probable move.

I don’t really see the point in the Weah move on reflection, for a short term loan he is a very young lad with no real first team experience, it is likely that as soon as he finds his feet he will going out the door again. Fair enough if we are in the market for another striker after as Weah looks like he can fill in on in the wide positions too.

Should we loan Morgan out for the remainder of the season?

I think that Bosnian chap was just invented online. It didn’t seem to come from anywhere credible and Rodgers said he’d never heard of the guy last summer.

I guess we’re short on cover and if it’s to replace Griffiths for a bit then no harm. If it’s to replace Dembélé then it is a problem. But we do need someone who can score goals who can we even have on the bench.

Not sure on Morgan. We’ve needed to play him a couple of times and I think he’s probably more likely to get a goal than Hayes if we were short on wingers and needed to bring him on. I’m not sure he has enough about him other than pace and the willingness to shoot from distance.

Hayes is fairly shit and was never good enough in the first place but right now he might be better cover at left back than Izzy is.

Weah does seem to do a lot of his work in wide positions so I think he could be an option for one of the wide roles domestically and will give Rodgers a bit of flexibility that way. I doubt we will see Griffiths again this season so it’s a big risk to have Weah as the only striking backup if Edouard goes down and we know he’s picked up a few niggles this season.

I thought Hayes did well at left back today.

What’s Tierney’s injury?