Celtic Non-Matchday Discussion

Full context of Rodgers’ comments on Shved and already having a million wingers.

1 Like

So he won’t be signing for Celtic until next season effectively?

I’m happy enough with that, a bit of forward planning at least. Now to sort the defence out.

That makes perfect sense so.

Benkovic potentially out for the season after sustaining a leg injury on Saturday according to The Scottish Sun. He played the full game but Rodgers said yesterday he was out for tomorrow night’s game. He didn’t intimate that the injury was as serious as reported, but maybe they wanted to keep it quiet.

Our first choice back four is now:

Lustig - decrepit, out of contract in the summer
Boyata - out of contract in the summer, winding down his contract, mysteriously injured in past two games as transfer deadline approaches
Benkovic - on loan for season, could be out for the remainder of season
Tierney - hasn’t played since early December, various rumours about the severity of his hip injury.

We need a right back and two centre halves for the European qualifiers in the summer, but we’d be risking it domestically even as things stand if we don’t get at least one defender before Thursday.

You could be looking at Lustig, Ajer, Simunovic, Izaguirre if Boyata is sold. That back four wouldn’t cope away from home in about 7 SPFL grounds.

We’re linked with Dortmund right back Jeremy Toljan on loan.

He has a good pedigree so if we got a loan with an option to buy I’d be quite happy with things.

Stephen McGowan was the first to link him so I’d imagine the interest is genuine.

Looks like the type of guy we might only be able to get on loan though.

Gutman has apparently gone AWOL.

In better news young Ewan Henderson has signed a three and a half year contract.

2 Likes

I believe we made some progress with Toljan yesterday. He will be a loan signing but there’s talk of an option to buy at an agreed fee which would be an ideal outcome for a player who has struggled in the last couple of seasons with injuries.

Also talk that we’re trying to bring in another CB on loan to replace Benkovic. Far from ideal but I guess we’ve no option there.

2 Likes

Good stuff, what’s the deal with Bekovic’s injury?

The talk this morning is that he’s only out for 4 weeks. But doesn’t seem to be much confirmed either way.

1 Like

Linked with Bryan Oviedo too.

I can’t see that happening unless Izaguirre is leaving. Though I guess with Morgan probably going to Sunderland there might be some loan swap deal where Oviedo joins for the rest of the season and Tierney gets his hip sorted.

I’m going to confirm the Toljan deal now. It’s done.

1 Like

Looks like Brown will sign a new two year deal.

He’s been a great servant but I think the end of the season is the right time to part ways. He has shown obvious signs of decline this season.

Brendan Rodgers says Filip Benkovic will be out for at least 5 weeks with an ankle injury. Might mean Jack Hendry doesn’t go out on loan.

Maryan Schved will sign for Celtic then finish his season in Ukraine.

Scott Brown deal not done yet but Rodgers delighted he’s staying.

Let Hendry out, tbf we have Lustig and Bitton who can play at centre half if needs be and at the minute Hendry might not be a better option than either.

Any word on Toljan.

I don’t think that’s enough centre back cover but I guess it does depend on Toljan coming up to free up Lustig.

Toljan seems like he will sign tomorrow but no fee at the end of the loan agreed.

Well at this current point in time we have Benkovic, Boyata, Ajer, Simunovic and Bitton and Lustig who could fill in if we’re badly stuck. It’s more than enough, it’s not as if we would be letting out a guy who has shown he’s solid and dependable for us, Hendry would be best going out and getting some minutes right now and getting his confidence back - I don’t think he’s ready for Celtic now. It’s 5 weeks so it’s not too bad, Boyata should be back shortly I’d imagine too.

We’ll have some big holes to fill in defence next season so should be getting on that right away.

I guess there are concerns around:

• Benkovic injury and then time to get back playing
  • Boyata deciding when he’s injured and not risking his next contract. He seems to be playing that card this season
  • Simunovic seems to get injured at the first physical confrontation.

But is Hendry a better centre half than Bitton or Lustig at present? Debatable.