Celtic Non-Matchday Discussion

Agreed. I have a bit of time for Bitton still and I think he’s useful for closing out games in midfield but can do a reasonable job in the SPL at centre back, particularly at home.

I don’t know that I’d be keeping Hendry just to have him at the periphery of the squad, but I guess I can understand our reluctance to get exposed if Boyata downs tools etc.

I’ll cast the deciding vote here. Hendry should be sent out on loan.

2 Likes

Newly capped Croatian right back Karlo Bartelec the latest name mentioned.

He’s there for 10 in a row.

He is training with Dortmund this morning so probably not the best sign he’s coming.

I confimed the deal yesterday. I’ll let you know if anything changes.

2 Likes

I’m going to disagree on this one too I think.

I think the general point that he’s in decline is fair. But every transfer window we struggle to get players of real quality to sign for Celtic. No doubt some of that is money but it’s also the league and the country etc. So we make do with guys like Mulumbu.

Brown was excellent last night but hasn’t been great overall this season. I’d still say he’s probably been our third best midfielder though behind McGregor and Christie. An in-form Rogic would have been much better but Rogic has struggled for form for most of the season, bar that spell when Brown was injured. The same applies to Ntcham. Bitton, Kouassi and Mulumbu aren’t as good.

As long as he’s not on a fortune and we’re not going to be relying on him in every game I think he’s worth retaining.

1 Like

Brown and Ntcham is too slow as a midfield pairing. Celtic fucked up hugely in not paying Hibs the price they wanted for McGinn.

The upside of McGinn not coming was that Christie was probably on his way out otherwise but it would have been great to have both of them here.

I think McGregor, Rogic and Christie should be our starting midfield from here on in.

Morgan has joined Sunderland on loan as expected by the way.

Agreed. Our fixtures since the winter break have been kind but he’s been much better. The real tests lie ahead, but happy to have him around even if his influence diminishes over time.

When will Bayo be available?

He’s been training for 10 days or so now. Hadn’t played since early December and had been away to get married/honeymooning. Think reports were he needed a “mini pre season” to get up to speed so that should be soon enough.

Looks like a nice, pleasant young man.

1 Like

2-year contract extension for Brown confirmed.

1 Like

Four and a half year deal for Shved.

1 Like

That’s a long contract.

Dortmund have confirmed the Toljan loan deal.

2 Likes

Think you confirmed that deal last night.

Gutman and Perez signed, despite reports of Gutman going awol.

2 Likes

Toljan has also played an awful lot of his football at left back so there is the added bonus that he can cover Tierney in the worst case scenario that he will miss a good chunk of the season.

He certainly looks to have a good pedigree and it would be great if we have an option on him. I haven’t really seen a lot of him but the fact that he played a lot of his football at left back would seem to point that he’s quite a solid defender first and foremost.

Let’s hope he turns out better than our last two international defenders we got from the Bundesliga (Comperr and Braafheid), unless I’m forgetting any?

2 Likes

Mulumbu has gone back to Kilmarnock on a 6 month loan deal. Crazy really. Presume he won’t be allowed play against Celtic anyway.