Celtic To Wear Remembrance Day Jerseys

I believe Celtic jersey’s carried the poppy over the weekend and that there was some sort of protest, anyone know any details on this, numbers etc?

read the Celtic Motherwell thread you fcukin Mong

Tut tut tut silly boy, no need for such language. I dont really follow Celtic football too closely, so I feel no need to read the Scottish football threads on this GAA website. Perhaps you young gentleman can give me an abbreviated version of what went on when Celtic jerseys carried the poppy symbol yesterday? This is the thread discussing the matter after all is it not?

Also I noticed a lot of Clubs chose not to carry the poppy over the weekend, what was this about?

[quote=“myboyblue”]Tut tut tut silly boy, no need for such language. I dont really follow Celtic football too closely, so I feel no need to read the Scottish football threads on this GAA website. Perhaps you young gentleman can give me an abbreviated version of what went on when Celtic jerseys carried the poppy symbol yesterday? This is the thread discussing the matter after all is it not?

Also I noticed a lot of Clubs chose not to carry the poppy over the weekend, what was this about?[/quote]

whats this?- a fcukin Q&A session with a half wit?read the other thread - read some external information-form an opinion & then get back to me

So much anger, is your dealer not answering your calls?

My car dealer? My Fx dealer, My SE dealer? My property Dealer?

I understand that until you acknowledge you have a problem, you can never truly seek help. When you’re ready, I will be here for you.

Anyhoo, I found the thread about the Motherwell game, it would have been nice had you seen fit to put up a link, but I managed, you’ll be happy to hear.

It seems there wasn’t much of a take up on the protest. I wonder why it was that many Clubs in England chose not to wear the poppy, and also why Celtic FC didnt not give their players each the option of wearing the rememberance day item.

The SPL asked all clubs to wear the poppy - there was no similar request in England and there has never been a similar request in Scotland. It was a silly effort to try and generalise something that should never be imposed on people.

Celtic wore the poppy, a minority protested (including Tipper from here) and the game went on. Shocking decision to wear that symbol of British imperialism - it may be a symbol of other things but to the oppressed and the victims of British state murder it’s a real kick in the face.

[quote=“therock67”]The SPL asked all clubs to wear the poppy - there was no similar request in England and there has never been a similar request in Scotland. It was a silly effort to try and generalise something that should never be imposed on people.

Celtic wore the poppy, a minority protested (including Tipper from here) and the game went on. Shocking decision to wear that symbol of British imperialism - it may be a symbol of other things but to the oppressed and the victims of British state murder it’s a real kick in the face.[/quote]

Gentleman Rocko, thanks for that.

Very surprised to hear it was only asked for by the SPL and not the EPL, I presumed it was a British-wide thing. Cant understand what the SPL had to gain out of doing that, especially when they knew what the reaction would be in Celtic. Little to be gained from it.

The SPL were asked by some Scottish remembrance day organistaion as far as I know and they further requested the clubs themselves. It was the first time it has happened as far as I know. It should never have been imposed as a blanket decision.

Not all clubs appeared to enforce it 100% though, some had players who didn’t wear it.

Program on RTE 1 now, And The Red Poppies Dance, good show all about the different songs and affects they had on WW1. Some brilliant songs on such as The Band Played Waltzing Matilda and The Foggy Dew.

In fairness to RTE, history is one of the few topics they do well.

Some great songs from that era alright - Wille McBride would be another I suppose. Think …Waltzing Matilda is the better of the two Bogle songs though.

Was at a remembrance mass tonight (not a war one) and there was a candle lit for those who fought for peace. Croppy was ready to explode when it looked like it was going to get all imperialist but they didn’t politicise it.

Anyone got a pic of the poppy jersey? Celtic’s official website is shite.

think twas the same as a normal celtic jersey with a poppy sewn in the middle of it…don’t see what the big deal is about:cool:…

I wore the poppy proudly over the weekend since I was in Britain. Took the poppy off as soon as the ferry docked in Rosslare for fear I’d get the shite kicked out of me, sad really as the poppy is a symbol of rememberance for all the poor folks who died in WW1, and nothing else! BTW I made my own poppy so don’t throw the issue of where the funds are going in my face.

that motherwell lad on the left is a right little pup any time i’ve seen him play…he’s the paul dickov of the scottish league when it comes to tackling and antagonising… lazley i think his name is…

Keith Lasley’s yer man alright. Committed about a dozen fouls on Saturday before being hauled ashore late on.

Shermin, funds from poppies go to all ‘ex-service personnel’ and not just WWI/WWII veterans. You could be making a donation to some Royal Parachute Regiment Bloody Sunday murderer when buying one of them. I wouldn’t dream of buying or wearing one but some people would - their choice.

Never mind the truth Shermin, sure tell us your version of the poppy facts.

[quote=“Bandage”]Keith Lasley’s yer man alright. Committed about a dozen fouls on Saturday before being hauled ashore late on.
.[/quote]

what a player…what a terrier…Man of the Match against Rangers tonight…bossed the middle of the park…thomson badly nissed already